Fermented Feeds

If I am incorrect then I hope someone says, but my understanding of FF and medicated chick feed isn't that it's not possible or good. It's that the fermenting processes neutralize the coccidistat, making it a traditional feed. But the benefits of FF outweigh the need for medicated starter to me.
You can ferment medicated feed. It may or may not neutralize the Amprolium in the feed. IMO, if a flock is handled correctly, Amprolium is absolutely not needed. It is a Thiamine blocker. My thought is that if it blocks Thiamine uptake in the cocci, what is it doing in the chick? Give those chicks a healthy gut flora and the cocci will never be an issue. (Cocci are a natural flora in a chicken gut, and only becomes problematic when they outnumber the good microbes.) The second prong of developing good immunity includes giving those chicks a plug of sod (untreated lawn) to help load their guts with beneficial bacteria and fungi. Best to start this within the first 2 weeks of a chick's life when she has the most active antibodies received from her mother.

I've read a bit more of FF. It (http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/05/why-and-how-to-ferment-your-chicken-feed/) says to use declorinated water. This first batch, I used chlorinated (minimal amount allowed by law) tap water. Is this bad? Or will it just take a little longer to ferment? Also, it says to use a lid, I think I read here not too?
If your water is chlorinated, the chlorine will out gas simply by leaving the water in an open container overnight. Agitating it will help it to gas off. However, chloramine is much more stable and difficult to remove. Check to see which product your water district uses. If you are starting your culture, you should not put a lid on it, or cover it in any way. It gets colonized by the natural bacteria and yeast that is floating around in ALL air. Once you have a good brew going, you can cover it lightly. The only reason I ever cover mine is b/c my hubby finds the odor objectionable, and my dog would eat half a bucket if it was not covered. I have been keeping it upstairs recently to take advantage of the heat from wood stove. I find that simply placing a plastic grocery store bag over it keeps odors in and dog out.

Last edited:
I am noticing that the feeding requirement is going down for my girls. If this continues I will be realizing quite a savings on feed. They truly love the fermented feed.

Does anyone have experience giving young chicks fermented feed? Is there any reason to think this wouldn't be good for them? I'm considering taking this approach for my new flock.

Does anyone have experience giving young chicks fermented feed?  Is there any reason to think this wouldn't be good for them?  I'm considering taking this approach for my new flock.

I start feeding my chicks fermented feed the first day I get them from the store. Try using a plastic ice cube tray, it works pretty well.

You don't need to keep the water over the feed to get LAB growth in the feed. No matter what anyone says, that's a fallacy. Most who are doing this are not keeping water over the feed at all.

[COLOR=A52A2A]" In the vocabulary of microbiology, lactic acid bacteria are “facultative” in that they that do not require oxygen,[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]but are not inhibited by its presence[/COLOR][COLOR=A52A2A]; in contrast, certain other bacteria (for example Clostridium botulinum) are “obligate” anaerobes that require a perfectly anaerobic environment."[/COLOR]

Please don't tell people their chickens will get sick if they don't cover the food with water as it's just not so. That's an untruth and it scares people away from FF rather than encouraging them to use it. The feed containers will not grow mold overnight~that's yeast growth~ and will not make the birds sick and mold will not contaminate the feed bucket, nor will it cause the feed to go sour or rotten....a highly fermented feed will smell sour or almost rotten in the summer months, but that is not caused by bacteria or mold growth at all, it's due to increased acetic acid which is the by product of deeper fermentation.

Please, please get the fact straight before instructing others?

I bet I wasted 50lbs of feed when I started feeding FF because of tossing out "moldy" feed that was really just yeast. Out of fear, as bee mentioned. I didn't want to harm the birds and had just assumed that the overnight growth was a blue mold... Grey(ish) yeast looks close enough when you're starting out!
1f609.png

Like most, I eventually went with an uncovered pasty texture FF...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom