Fermented Feeds

Quote: I'm considering starting with the fermented feed method. I live in a region of Australia where the humidity level is about 80% on a good day. Would I be better off covering up my feed during the fermentation process in order to avoid mould and other wet-weather bacteria?

What is the difference?

I feed from day one too but never satisfied with my feeder set up.  I will be trying ice cube trays next, thank you Leigti for mentioning it, never would have thought of it.

Somebody on one of these fermented feed threads mentioned it. It is very hard to find something that works well for checks. From my adults I just use a vinyl gutter between two cinderblocks.

I'm having reasonable luck with using the plastic base from a chick waterer for feeding ff to my bunch of twelve. Rather than the plastic water jug, I've screwed in a 4oz canning jar, and have a large plastic lid taped on top to avoid the roost & poop in the food issue. I also place a block of 2x4 on that for stability, since they hop up all the time. I do have to fill it several times a day, but it's working.

I'm considering starting with the fermented feed method. I live in a region of Australia where the humidity level is about 80% on a good day. Would I be better off covering up my feed during the fermentation process in order to avoid mould and other wet-weather bacteria?

I live in Hawaii & it gets HUMID here too
1f616.png
I don't use a lid on mine....I keep it in the house on the counter overnight. In the mornings I leave it out on my work table in the patio. I cut some mosquito netting material to cover it when I keep it outside, securing with a elastic band. I like the "oatmeal" consistency, having only 5 hens I don't need very much.

I'm having reasonable luck with using the plastic base from a chick waterer for feeding ff to my bunch of twelve. Rather than the plastic water jug, I've screwed in a 4oz canning jar, and have a large plastic lid taped on top to avoid the roost & poop in the food issue. I also place a block of 2x4 on that for stability, since they hop up all the time. I do have to fill it several times a day, but it's working.

I attempted to use the feeder version of your waterer, but the newly arrived chicks were attempting to climb through the holes into the feeder. That was the end if that! I've switched to dry feed for now, since they didn't seem interested in the wet (not yet fermented). I'll get an ice tray and try again.

ETA: Some sites say to stir & and some say not to stir. To stir or not to stir? That is the question.
1f61c.png

Last edited:
I attempted to use the feeder version of your waterer, but the newly arrived chicks were attempting to climb through the holes into the feeder. That was the end if that! I've switched to dry feed for now, since they didn't seem interested in the wet (not yet fermented). I'll get an ice tray and try again.

ETA: Some sites say to stir & and some say not to stir. To stir or not to stir? That is the question.
1f61c.png
When I first get chicks I use a lid or must the feeder bottom, yup they walk through it and have a blast & messy. I've also tried the round red chick feeder minus the qt, I use a plastic mayonnaise lid (taped on) to cover the center hole, that works the best but they still get messy but then we have "bonding" time, I wipe them down if any get really messy. Will try the ice cube tray next time...

I mix when adding more feed/water (ratio 1:1) & stir after removing/feeding. Think I've read if fermenting grain, more stirring to make sure the grain that floats to the top get wet. I use Flock Raiser crumbles & it's simple.

1f61c.png

The one I am using does not have holes. The lid is just stuck on the little jar with a loop of duct tape, so I can pop it off to refill.

I do my FF in small buckets, one for each day and rotate. I stir them generally once a day.

Just so y'all know, if you are fermenting a commercial feed then it's physical dry form (crumble, mash or pellet) is irrelevant, That's assuming it is the right type (starter, layer, grower, etc.) for what you're feeding it to. So long as there are no solid grains then it's all going to be mush after a few hours of soaking anyway!

Last edited:
Quote: I'm considering starting with the fermented feed method. I live in a region of Australia where the humidity level is about 80% on a good day. Would I be better off covering up my feed during the fermentation process in order to avoid mould and other wet-weather bacteria?
NOt a concern. YOur ferment will simply grow faster.

Quote: I stir it when mixing the dry feed into the water. It usually does not get a bit of attention until I am getting ready to scoop it out to feed to the birds. Consider this: When you are making bread, and have the yeast mixed into the flour and water, do you have to continue to go back and stir it while it is rising? NOPE! That yeast is mixed through that whole lump of dough. Same with FF. Your scoby is mixed through the entire container of FF.

Just so y'all know, if you are fermenting a commercial feed then it's physical dry form (crumble, mash or pellet) is irrelevant, That's assuming it is the right type (starter, layer, grower, etc.) for what you're feeding it to. So long as there are no solid grains then it's all going to be mush after a few hours of soaking anyway!
What FW said. Mash is left as mash, or extruded into pellet form. The pellets can then be crushed a bit to = crumble. It all starts from the same milled product. Mash is sometimes cheaper at the feed store, because it is less processed. It pays to ask questions at the feed store. By asking, I found a layer pellet that is $2 cheaper than the pellets they push. Same formulation minus the advertising hype.

Back
Top Bottom