Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds

I have wondered if the vultures and hawks think my Australorps are a bunch of big crows? LOL I don't know about anybody else but my Australorps are the boss of the henhouse! I've never seen them bother each other but they sometimes give the other breeds a hard time. They are so quiet most of the time but they will remind the others who's boss. My rooster is also an Australorp and he always seems to take sides with them. I have accused them of racism! lol

I wish the hawks would think the same of mine! My '3 black beauties' are usually together (unless one is broody). These 3 usually rule the roost with Stretch being top chicken.

Lisa :)

There is a store bought brand of jumbo eggs that I use to get a lot that had several of double yolkers in a dozen,. Sometimes the majority of the eggs would be. I guess I better quit wishing for big double yolkers and be satisfied with large eggs. Whoda thunkit?
smile.png

Don't you just want to stop and have a talk with those people buying that egg white mess in a little carton?

Golden Comets are notorious for double yolks and folks will buy them for just that reason. I like getting the occasional double yolk too just because it's kind of neato...but a hen with consistent double yolks burns out quicker and has a lot more stress on her reproductive structures.

I had an ancient leghorn that ended her laying life by laying a series of double yolked eggs..she would lay for half the month and then stop for half a month, lay again, then stop...she finally stopped altogether and I delayed in culling her because I really liked her~sentimentality is hard to fight sometimes.
tongue.png
When I finally butchered her she had a huge egg mass in her abdomen that filled the entire palm of my cupped hand, comprised of a cooked yolk looking substance that was just layers and layers of yolk, like rings on a tree. How she didn't suffer with that inside of her, I'll never know, as a leghorn isn't the biggest of birds. Some have these internal laying issues and die from egg peritonitis, so I was fortunate she hadn't suffered.

X2...very lovely colors and sheen on those birds!  I have a soft spot in me for a red bird...they just make me happy to see them out on a pasture.  :love

Yep! I've got some little Buckeyes that are going to be pretty but they look pretty rough right now (molting). These sure don't have the shine and color that Skitzkle's birds do. My youngster's pen still looks like a pillow fight went down! LOL

I've been wondering how intergrating my two groups would go... The older birds have been visiting the youngsters through the fence. I saw the rooster at the fence talking to the young birds. He was scratching around showing them something to eat. He's so sweet. :) Maybe he won't let the older girls be too mean to them. He's quick to break up fights among his ladies. I believe when I'm out to watch them I may start letting one or two pullets at a time go in and visit the youngsters. Some of them try to get in there anyway.

Golden Comets are notorious for double yolks and folks will buy them for just that reason.  I like getting the occasional double yolk too just because it's kind of neato...but a hen with consistent double yolks burns out quicker and has a lot more stress on her reproductive structures. 

I had an ancient leghorn that ended her laying life by laying a series of double yolked eggs..she would lay for half the month and then stop for half a month, lay again, then stop...she finally stopped altogether and I delayed in culling her because I really liked her~sentimentality is hard to fight sometimes.  :p   When I finally butchered her she had a huge egg mass in her abdomen that filled the entire palm of my cupped hand, comprised of a cooked yolk looking substance that was just layers and layers of yolk, like rings on a tree.  How she didn't suffer with that inside of her, I'll never know, as a leghorn isn't the biggest of birds.  Some have these internal laying issues and die from egg peritonitis, so I was fortunate she hadn't suffered. 

Yes, good thing she didn't suffer. I can imagine that would be pretty painful. This is another one of those thing that this greenhorn didn't know, never thought double yolkers could be bad for the bird. I've seen 6 week old CornishX meat birds with egg yolk in them. That just seems messed up to me!

I wish the hawks would think the same of mine!  My '3 black beauties' are usually together (unless one is broody).  These 3 usually rule the roost with Stretch being top chicken.

Lisa :)

I really don't know who my top hen is but it is pretty easy to see who is at the bottom. lol I have one pullet that all of the roosters have been in love with. lol She was at the top for a while. I believe her and the roo have had a spat, she was keeping a little distance from him yesterday. Maye they need marriage counseling. lol

Question, I received my meatys CX yesterday, and started them on FF, the problem is this time I thought I would set up a brooder pen in the coop. The flies are crazy for the FF. I have never had that problem with reg. feed( pellets or crumbles) some of the little chicks are snatching the flies and eating them, will this harm them and is there some way to control the flies and not hurt the chicks. It almost prevents them from eating the feed:(The coop is deep litter freshly cleaned with PDZ and DE. Help!

Question, I received my meatys CX yesterday, and started them on FF, the problem is this time I thought I would set up a brooder pen in the coop. The flies are crazy for the FF. I have never had that problem with reg. feed( pellets or crumbles) some of the little chicks are snatching the flies and eating them, will this harm them and is there some way to control the flies and not hurt the chicks. It almost prevents them from eating the feed:(The coop is deep litter freshly cleaned with PDZ and DE. Help!

Flies are free protein for them. Thats great they are catching them!!

try putting a loose cover over the bucket so it still gets air and it should deter the flies

Flies are free protein for them. Thats great they are catching them!!

try putting a loose cover over the bucket so it still gets air and it should deter the flies

The flies are in their feed tray, glad to hear they won't harm the chicks, I thought I was in a Hitchcock film.

Back
Top Bottom