Fertile non-Mallard X Muscovy Cross?

TemeculaEgg

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 10, 2013
Temecula
Hello All,
I'm new to ducks and this forum. Please help me with something I'm puzzled by. After researching Muscovy crosses/hybrids the general thought is. The Mallard X Muscovy hybrid results in infertile mule duck/ mulard, Although, I have run across a few references to fertile crosses. The Mallard-derivative drake hybrid X Muscovy female produces hybrid females that usually lay small eggs that do not hatch. Males from this cross are sometimes fertile.
So it's possible? Has this happened to anyone here?
I cannot find anything about a Non-Mallard X Muscovy cross. Maybe a duck from the genus Cairina? Is there any fertile Muscovy cross at all?
I have two Muscovy females and love the breed. They are from a local meat duck producer, but are now pampered additions to my organic garden and backyard. They have stolen my heart and I'm very interested in muscovies in general.
Thank you for any information you can provide.

I have had the hybrid but never any fertile one.The hens lay eggs but nothing develops no matter which breed breeds them.The drakes breed but again nothing.I have heard of exceptions but upon talking to the owners it is always I let them all run together and the hen hatched a clutch of eggs.I am convinced the eggs were not her own that hatched.There is something about the genes that prevents fertility in the 2nd generation attempt.

I do not think muscovies can cross with many thing but maybe if u cross a mallard and Muscovy if u get a male breed it back to a pure female Muscovy and they should not be mules im not a fan of cross breeding at all but I knda know my stuff also I bet u can breed a Muscovy and pekin duck together. from Jay in MA

I forgot to mention my hybrid experience was with mallard based domestic breeds and Muscovy. The crosses are excellent meat birds.

Thanks for your replies. I kept looking and found something about the almost extinct White winged wood duck. In Asia, when crossed with Muscovy, it produced infertile females, while most of males were fertile. The males were than bred back into the general Muscovy population. I Google searched the White winged wood ducks, and they do look similar to Muscovy. Not as much red carnuckuling ? (sp) Sorry, I'm a newb.

Muscovies CAN and WILL breed with other breeds. However, if they breed with anything other than a muscovy, you will get sterile offspring.

Muscovy hens bred with mallard derived drakes (pekins, harlequins, swedish, etc) will give you sterile females (hinnies) and males. But the females will lay eggs. These eggs will take the normal length of time to hatch for a muscovy, 32-25 days. The offspring are typically (not all as there are so many different genetic make-ups with these mixes) similar to muscovy where the males are noticably larger than females and females are able to fly. But they quack like a mallard-derived duck.

Muscovy drakes bred with mallard derived hens will give you sterile males and females and the females won't lay eggs (moulards). These typically fall in between when it comes to hatching and will take anywhere from 30 to 32 days to hatch. Offspring are known to be excellent meat ducks (especially if using a pekin for a mix) and will grow fast and large.

Muscovies CAN and WILL breed with other breeds. However, if they breed with anything other than a muscovy, you will get sterile offspring.

Muscovy hens bred with mallard derived drakes (pekins, harlequins, swedish, etc) will give you sterile females (hinnies) and males. But the females will lay eggs. These eggs will take the normal length of time to hatch for a muscovy, 32-25 days. The offspring are typically (not all as there are so many different genetic make-ups with these mixes) similar to muscovy where the males are noticably larger than females and females are able to fly. But they quack like a mallard-derived duck.

Muscovy drakes bred with mallard derived hens will give you sterile males and females and the females won't lay eggs (moulards). These typically fall in between when it comes to hatching and will take anywhere from 30 to 32 days to hatch. Offspring are known to be excellent meat ducks (especially if using a pekin for a mix) and will grow fast and large.
I dug way back to find this, and it's exactly what I needed to know :) Unfortunately, we don't know if the Mullard had a mallard hen or drake parent, but there's a 50/50 chance of eggs. She's going to a pet home regardless, so even if she never lays she'll be spoiled!

i have a flock of entirely mallard ducks and one muscovy hybrid. one of my ducks had a nest where one egg in it hatched much later than the rest. this duck is now showing signs he might be a hybrid..... but there is no possible way this can be, unless my ybrid male is fertile. there were no other domestic or feral muscovy ducks anywhere around and i am absolutely certain none of my other ducks are hybrid. the one i have was rescued as a dumped duckling.
The young male is about 8-9 weeks old and is very big and strong for his size and starting to sound more like the whistle voice of a muscovy, no sign of the male 'verrp' that a mallard type drake would have. the hybrid adult male i have has certainly sown his wild seeds amongst my female flock (I have always let him thinking its great because the girls love him and there would not be any ducklings I had to try to rehome!) and one is his mate, ive had him for 3 years now with no other hybrid ducklings.

my young drake also has an ability now when he is in his plastic container at night (hes hand raised and my baby so stays inside overnight with me) of being able to hop up on the side of the container and perch on the edge of it. i can post a photo if anyone thinks they will be able to tell by looking at him whether he could possibly be hybrid? could post one of Bruce Springsteen the 3 yr old hybrid drake as well.....

Back
Top Bottom