FFA Poultry Auction in Topsfield, Mass. on 10/18

Gypsy,
The FFA kids get to use the whole barn if they need to, but in my recollection they've always used just the front half, up to about where the chick-incubator exhibit area ends. When there are a lot of items/birds to auction, it can fill up a lot of space but I've never seen it go more than halfway back.

Last edited:
i went, was amazed, dont want to miss it next yr, do they set the date like always the 2nd sunday or whatever? or does it change every yr. did ask to be put on the list.

had a few suggestions, LOL, who am i to say but i cant help myself
i think that if people have written on the box the breed, age sex etc that tony could atleast say what it says, there were a few times that i missed out because he woudlnt answer what sex the rabbit is, or what breed the hen is. he could have gotten more for the rabbit had i known it was a female before the bidding was done. wouldnt take but a second for him to read. other than that we had a great time, awesome variety , for anyone thinking about it being old birds, it was not, there are some great birds there. was well worth the trip for sure.
i did come home with some mums and a white rock hen, i bid on most of the hens til it got over $15 one went for $40 unbelievable crazy fun

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I always tell people to write on the boxes what is inside... now you see why! I think the FFA chapter should put it on a sign next to the seller's sign-in table so people have to label their crates before they can drop them off.

The auction is always the first Sunday after the close of the Topsfield Fair (last day is always Columbus Day Monday).

You bought the 1-dollar mums? Water them well!
smile.png
I got a partridge cochin hen for $16 (I only bid $13 but the auctioneer thought I was still "in" until the other bidder opted out).
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I always tell people to write on the boxes what is inside... now you see why! I think the FFA chapter should put it on a sign next to the seller's sign-in table so people have to label their crates before they can drop them off.

The auction is always the first Sunday after the close of the Topsfield Fair (last day is always Columbus Day Monday).

You bought the 1-dollar mums? Water them well!
smile.png
I got a partridge cochin hen for $16 (I only bid $13 but the auctioneer thought I was still "in" until the other bidder opted out).
smile.png

yes, the mums dry as bones, but mom thinks she can save them! good to know what weekend thanks for the info. that was a nice hen though. i think i may have bid on her til it went past 10 -12. so your not with the group ffa your just someone that goes?

No, I'm not involved with FFA, I just have gone to the auction for so many years that I know all the info.
big_smile.png

I only planned to pay 10 bucks TOPS for any hen, but when Tony saw that people were bidding crazy, he STARTED the bids at $10!

She is a very nice hen though. Looks like she's still a pullet in fact. A little timid but sweet. I have been wanting a standard cochin hen for a long time because I have non-broody ducks (khaki Campbells) and could use a good hen to hatch their eggs. I've had tiny bantam broodies hatching duck eggs and raising 1-2 ducklings (something too hilarious to describe).
smile.png

I went to the fair on Monday looking for lionhead but was sold out. So I got a Guinea pig instead. I still want the bunny and a friend for the Guinea pig. Do you think they will have them? Do you need to pay to park and there is fee to get in

I went to the fair on Monday looking for lionhead but was sold out. So I got a Guinea pig instead. I still want the bunny and a friend for the Guinea pig. Do you think they will have them? Do you need to pay to park and there is fee to get in
Usually there is a thread here for the FFA auction. I don't know why there wasn't one this year. I know it's late, but there are no entry/parking fees.

So did you go? Did you find what you were looking for? Was it a big auction? I was wondering how many people went given how chilly it was.

Back
Top Bottom