Finally ordered water nipples

Can someone educate me a little? Looking on Amazon, there are a bunch of bird nipple waters. What makes one better than another? Do you use PVC or hard pipe? Do I need to thread PVC first? What do you use for a water source? What drives the cost differences?

Where should I shop for these, none locally?

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:

Here's my nipple waterer set up-- just a clean gallon sized container, and my husband screwed three nipples into (1 on each side of the jug, with one side being flush with our brooder crate). So far, so good. PS- that's Rosie, a buff Orpington, saying hello... I call her Nosey Rosie for good reason!

Here's my nipple waterer set up-- just a clean gallon sized container, and my husband screwed three nipples into (1 on each side of the jug, with one side being flush with our brooder crate). So far, so good. PS- that's Rosie, a buff Orpington, saying hello... I call her Nosey Rosie for good reason!
That looks great! I ordered vertical nipples so mine will have to hang but I've heard that the horizontal ones like yours don't leak as bad. I have a Rose. She's a red sex link. So cute!!!

Can someone educate me a little? Looking on Amazon, there are a bunch of bird nipple waters. What makes one better than another? Do you use PVC or hard pipe? Do I need to thread PVC first? What do you use for a water source? What drives the cost differences?

Where should I shop for these, none locally?

TIA,
Sid
I'm not the one to ask, I'm very new to chickens and did a lot of research and typed in water nipples in the search option here and read every thread about it lol. Looked at pictures the whole 9 yards. I finally ordered the nipples on eBay.

There's a good thread about the differences between the vertical (which is 95% of what's sold and the only thing i could find locally) and horizontal. The vertical work for most but the general consensus seems to be the horizontal are superior. I ordered mine and received them this week but haven't put them to work yet. You can use any sort of plastic it seems. Many people rig up pvc pipe systems but most just stick them in a 5 gallon bucket. With PVC you have to worry more about freezing if you live in such a climate because I simple heater will heat the bucket but may not get into the length of the pipe. They self thread into an 11/16 hole. Lastly the only problem I've heard is if you have too much pressure, like one guy hooked them up to a 50 gallon drum and said it was too much.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-vs-horizontal-spring-loaded-watering-nipples

Last edited:
Thanks @Husker Hens! Thankfully where I am freezing is not an issue but that thread has a lot of great info. I have already noticed a lot of water drips when they are drinking but it's not leaking which is good. But the dripping is a pain!

Back
Top Bottom