First chicks = need advice

RedBrush Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Missouri
Hatched my first pea chicks yesterday.
yesss.gif
They are eating and drinking but not extremely well. Is this just because they are so young? They also "cry" almost continually unless I hold them. I have them in with some silkies that hatched yesterday also, but it does not seem to help. I make a little tent on my lap with the heating pad on low and they are content or just sleep. As cute as they are. I can't hold them all the time. What should I do?
B.K.

They are totally different than raising chickens. They need someone or something to show them how to eat/drink. I have been raising mine for a week now and they really think I am Dad. Make sure they get the extra protein they need and try to get them going with treats like live bugs or minnows. Good luck!

yes, but mealworms are also very fatty. Mine enjoyed small crickets. You can also give them hard boiled egg yolks or plain greek yogurt.

Mine won't hardly eat a bug and i raise meal worms, go figure,
They like grass hoppers but will not touch a worm i think they like the chase. LOL
Just make sure the babies have access to grit if you feed them whole grains , veggies and fruit so they can digest it properly.

For the small crickets, egg yolks, greek yogurt, and mushy oatmeal, as long as they are eating starter too, there's enough grit in the starter that you don't have to offer more. Mine wouldn't touch grit as babies, silly birds.

Mine love mealworms. I don't buy them often, it gets expensive. They also like any and every kind of insect that moves. Also, thanks to Kedreeva, I found out they also have an appetite for minnows and shrimp which are sure to be good if you have that available. Don't expect them to eat much in the first couple days, they still have the yolk reserves left in their bodies.

Hatched my first pea chicks yesterday.
yesss.gif
They are eating and drinking but not extremely well. Is this just because they are so young? They also "cry" almost continually unless I hold them. I have them in with some silkies that hatched yesterday also, but it does not seem to help. I make a little tent on my lap with the heating pad on low and they are content or just sleep. As cute as they are. I can't hold them all the time. What should I do?
B.K.
I hear you Red Bush, mine hatched July 1--4 of them. I am going through the same thing, eating, drinking and holding all the time. Let's stay in touch and give moral support to each other--I'm a newbie. Where yours hatched July 1 too!
bow.gif

I just hatched my first peachick today. I got it to drink when I dipped it's beak but it hasn't shown any interest in eating or drinking since. I tried egg yolk and oatmeal but it wouldnt' swollow it.Tapping my finger didn't work either. I have it in with some 2 day old chicks but like above it yells all the time. I just want to do he right thing so it can survive. Any help is appreciated.

Congratulations on the hatch.
the baby will be fine let it rest and try again tomorrow, they absorbs the yoke at hatch time and can live a few days with the energy it supplies them, that is how hatcheries are able to sell live chicks they ship them at hatch time .

Back
Top Bottom