Peachick sleeping and not eating

After doing more searching, I dont think there's going to be a way to get any Baytril, or the generic, without it being shipped or prescribed.

I appreciate all of the advice, but it appears my only option is to just try to feed the chick with the baby bird food, and prepare for the worst.
I'm sorry, I don't know about sourcing Baytril where you are. Maybe a vet would prescribe a small amount without seeing the peachick if you make an appointment to bring it in later in the week? Or maybe you can source a different antibiotic until the vet is able to see you? I don't know of anything as reliable as Baytril but maybe there's something that will buy you a couple of extra days until a vet visit is possible.

I hope you can find the supplies to tube feed. It is the safest and most efficient way to get the appropriate amount of food into a sick bird and it gives them the fluids they need which are vital as well.

In an emergency, if you can't source the right size tube quickly enough, you can hand feed the Kaytee baby bird feed direct to the beak. It's not as good as tube feeding and it takes a lot longer but it is an alternative safe way that can't aspirate them. It's a lot more doable with a chick than an adult bird due to the amount of food required.

You can mix it up to a consistency that's solid but soft and squishy. I've found that if you mix in some ground up chick starter and some raw egg yolk, you can make a nice consistency that's possible to roll into small pellets, about the size of a pea. Then it's just a case of gently placing them one at a time into the beak. I imagine you could do similar with just chick starter and egg but the Kaytee baby bird feed is really great and it has a lot of additional micronutrients and probiotics in there as well.

If your peachick isn't drinking, it's not ideal because the hydration is as important if not more so than the food. It just might be something to buy you some time while you source supplies.
I'll give all of this a try, and I'm not worried about how long it takes as long as the poor thing gets to eat. It's definitely drinking, and I've currently got an ACV (with mother) and water mixture in it's waterer right now.

The best I can hope for is the ACV, and bird food to buy it a bit more time until it can be seen, or at least prescribed the Baytril.

I also have unflavored pedialyte, and Purina Electrolyte mix if anything can be done with those.

I'm sorry, I don't know about sourcing Baytril where you are. Maybe a vet would prescribe a small amount without seeing the peachick if you make an appointment to bring it in later in the week? Or maybe you can source a different antibiotic until the vet is able to see you? I don't know of anything as reliable as Baytril but maybe there's something that will buy you a couple of extra days until a vet visit is possible.
We can still get injectable antibiotics over the counter at the farm stores or if you are lucky like I am, a local vet will have it on the shelf without seeing the animal. My farm vet will also sell preloaded syringes so you don't have to buy a full bottle. And you are very right about dehydration being a killer, liquids are a must.

Alright, Update.
Was able to get the Kaytee baby bird food.
Knowing the weight, should I still proceed with 0.5ml 3/day as @KsKingBee recommends, or should I feed more often? The store owner recommended every two hours, but gave no clarification as to how much. I'm a full time home body so I have no problems if it needs to be frequent feedings.

Edit: Also regrettably the crop needle and catheter were also a no go. So all I appear to be left with is the syringe and dropper that was recommended with the food.

Last edited:
You should start with not more than 2% of the chicks weight.

42 x .02 = 0.48 ml

Since it isn't drinking, I think I would try to get some fluids in it first. Be careful, it's very easy for them to aspirate. You also want to make sure it's nice and warm before giving it anything.

You should start with not more than 2% of the chicks weight.

42 x .02 = 0.48 ml

Since it isn't drinking, I think I would try to get some fluids in it first. Be careful, it's very easy for them to aspirate. You also want to make sure it's nice and warm before giving it anything.
I thought I had mentioned before, but it is drinking, and does fairly often. At the moment I have it drinking a ACV and standard water mixture. Should I change it to just water while not feeding with Kaytee?
I can see the video, thank you.

I thought I had mentioned before, but it is drinking, and does fairly often. At the moment I have it drinking a ACV and standard water mixture. Should I change it to just water while not feeding with Kaytee?
I would offer it the ACV water & regular water. Let it choose.

In an emergency, if you can't source the right size tube quickly enough, you can hand feed the Kaytee baby bird feed direct to the beak. It's not as good as tube feeding and it takes a lot longer but it is an alternative safe way that can't aspirate them. It's a lot more doable with a chick than an adult bird due to the amount of food required.

You can mix it up to a consistency that's solid but soft and squishy. I've found that if you mix in some ground up chick starter and some raw egg yolk, you can make a nice consistency that's possible to roll into small pellets, about the size of a pea. Then it's just a case of gently placing them one at a time into the beak. I imagine you could do similar with just chick starter and egg but the Kaytee baby bird feed is really great and it has a lot of additional micronutrients and probiotics in there as well.
I apologize for misunderstanding, but do you mean that I mix the kaytee feed, ground up starter, and the egg yolk? Sorry, stressed and terrified of getting it wrong. Trying to ideally save the syringing as a last resort if I can get the chick to eat.

I do also have these small plastic droppers if you think they would serve the purpose of syringing over the aforementioned syringe I linked in a previous comment

The pipettes are fine but be careful to find one that is not too rough on the tip or you can slightly melt the end with a match. It is very easy to tear the esophagus but you do need to get past the windpipe and deeper is better.

I had reason to use my crop needle tonight on a failing one week old chick. I will revise the amount I would give down to no more than 0.2ml and give it feedings at least every two to three hours.

If the chick has not been eating the crop will have shrunk and needs to be expanded with liquid first then feed. Kaytee is a complete feed and you should not add anything to it except for meds if needed. If/when you overfill the chick and the liquid/food comes up hang the birds head down and let it drain. Then give it a rest and come back later to finish the feeding.

This crop needle in my pic is too tiny for feeding anything but broth, it would need the next size bigger for feed. Use the pipettes you have, they will do fine.
IMG_8488.JPG

Back
Top Bottom