Peachick sleeping and not eating

Rubyroost

In the Brooder
Jul 23, 2023
Recently acquired three chicks, all now around 6 days old. Two of the three seem to be thriving just fine with healthy progression and activity (though maybe a bit of eyelid tugging which has landed them in birdy jail), however one of them is significantly less active. It's spends the majority of it's time sleeping, or dozing off shortly after moving somewhere else in the brooder. This particular chick has been refusing to eat these last few days, along with having a recurring messy bottom the whole time we've had it (which the vent has been getting regularly cleaned and unblocked). I've tried a few alternate routes of feeding, including watering down the food to be softer, mixing it into a mash or paste. I've tried soft scrambled eggs, and even just getting those big starter crumble chunks to be smaller in the event they're just too large. I've started giving her ACV mixed with their usual water as of last night but I'm not sure of what else to do, as this is my first attempt raising peas

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'd like to help it as best I can if possible.

It would also be a good idea to get some Kaytee Baby Bird food and tube feed the chick starting with about 0.5ml at least three times per day until it starts eating on its own. If these chicks were hatched under a hen you should start cocci treatments at two to three weeks and monthly once they are put on the ground.

Welcome to BYC. Do you have a food scale that you can weigh them on?
Thank you for the welcome, and I do own a food scale that I can get some comparison weights on.
It is a bacterial infection most likely from a rough navel in an unsanitary brooder. Give one drop of Baytril orally for two or three days.
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but for the Baytril I assume it be the 10% oral solution, and I'll try to find the KayTee feed, though I've never had to tube feed so any tips would be very much appreciated. I'm not sure as to if they were hatched via hen or incubator, they came from Cackle Hatchery (https://www.cacklehatchery.com/) so I assume incubated.

Thank you for the welcome, and I do own a food scale that I can get some comparison weights on.
Great. I find it helps the weigh them daily and to weigh them in grams.
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but for the Baytril I assume it be the 10% oral solution,
5% or 10% solution. Injectable or oral.
I'll try to find the KayTee feed,
Petsmart & Petco carry it.
though I've never had to tube feed so any tips would be very much appreciated.
Finding a small enough tube is your first step. Are there any medical supply places by you? I suggest getting a size 8 or 10 French rubber catheter.

The weights that came in on our scale were 61g, 57g, and 42g with the latter being the one that's been worrisome. To be fair, these all sound worrisome with google saying they're born at 103g
Google lies, none of mine have ever hatched that high. I think 57 & 61 are okay.
42 is worrisome. Is a vet an option?

Here are mine:
1690310271974.png

1690310300912.png

Back
Top Bottom