Peachick sleeping and not eating

I should have taken a pic for you but a friend showed me a safe way to insert the feeding tube. It looks a bit cruel but it is necessary when you do not have a third hand. Have your pipette ready and hold the chick by its bottom beak hanging freely, it will struggle for a bit but will quit in a few seconds. Once it is hanging calmly insert the pipette down the birds right side. If you hold the chick in your left hand cross over the tongue to your left and go straight down the throat. Hanging the chick like that straightens the neck and there is less chance of tearing the esophagus.

I should have taken a pic for you but a friend showed me a safe way to insert the feeding tube. It looks a bit cruel but it is necessary when you do not have a third hand. Have your pipette ready and hold the chick by its bottom beak hanging freely, it will struggle for a bit but will quit in a few seconds. Once it is hanging calmly insert the pipette down the birds right side. If you hold the chick in your left hand cross over the tongue to your left and go straight down the throat. Hanging the chick like that straightens the neck and there is less chance of tearing the esophagus.
I will keep all of this in mind for the next feeding, thank you.

I did go ahead and give the chick some of the Kaytee, though I didn't go to the crop. Without certainty about the syringe or pipettes, we tried to give the bird small amounts at a time near the front of it's mouth. The chick seemed to be downing it, though now I'm worried we should have just administered to the crop directly.

I will keep all of this in mind for the next feeding, thank you.

I did go ahead and give the chick some of the Kaytee, though I didn't go to the crop. Without certainty about the syringe or pipettes, we tried to give the bird small amounts at a time near the front of it's mouth. The chick seemed to be downing it, though now I'm worried we should have just administered to the crop directly.
As long as the chick is getting water and feed that is all that matters. The less stressful option is best.

As long as the chick is getting water and feed that is all that matters. The less stressful option is best.
It's definitely been drinking, no problems there. The drinking never really slowed down, even when swapping to ACV and water.

I'll continue with the stress-less feeding, and if it starts refusing that then we'll go the hard route of direct via crop. I do have one more worry though. We did go ahead and give it around .48ml. If it's been stable in it's drinking will this still pose a problem? I assume I would feed again a bit later rather than two/three hours after the last session if we gave more than I should have.

It's definitely been drinking, no problems there. The drinking never really slowed down, even when swapping to ACV and water.

I'll continue with the stress-less feeding, and if it starts refusing that then we'll go the hard route of direct via crop. I do have one more worry though. We did go ahead and give it around .48ml. If it's been stable in it's drinking will this still pose a problem? I assume I would feed again a bit later rather than two/three hours after the last session if we gave more than I should have.
If you didn't overfill you are fine. Mine had not been drinking and may have gotten squashed on a hot day so it was not able to accept very much. I am sure it won't last the night.

If you didn't overfill you are fine. Mine had not been drinking and may have gotten squashed on a hot day so it was not able to accept very much. I am sure it won't last the night.
Well I'm hoping for the best for it. I'll be honest, I dont know how you folks do it. Just this first one being so under the weather has broken my heart.

Well I'm hoping for the best for it. I'll be honest, I dont know how you folks do it. Just this first one being so under the weather has broken my heart.
It is devastating to lose a special bird regardless if you have one or one thousand birds but in the end, we are a farm that sells hundreds of birds per year and as such we have both livestock and deadstock. It is part of farming.

It is devastating to lose a special bird regardless if you have one or one thousand birds but in the end, we are a farm that sells hundreds of birds per year and as such we have both livestock and deadstock. It is part of farming.
I suppose that's true. This is all still very new to me so I'm sorry if it was impolite in any way.
I do have one last question though if you dont mind. Should I continue with the giving .48ml three times a day, or just go straight to .2 every two hours?

I suppose that's true. This is all still very new to me so I'm sorry if it was impolite in any way.
I do have one last question though if you dont mind. Should I continue with the giving .48ml three times a day, or just go straight to .2 every two hours?
Monitor that with weighing the chick, if you are seeing gains that is good but if it is still losing weight feed more. I do not see you as impolite at all.

Monitor that with weighing the chick, if you are seeing gains that is good but if it is still losing weight feed more. I do not see you as impolite at all.
I appreciate you replying so late into the night, honestly. All the help and advice I've been given today has done a great deal with the mental aspect of this.

I've just weighed the chick and it came up as 42g still, though I didn't think to weigh before I fed the first batch. My current assumption is to wait for a few more hours to feed, but if you think I should go ahead and feed now, I will definitely get some more food made up

Back
Top Bottom