First Egg Countdown

From left to right: my first black Australorp, Amerucana, Rhode Island Red.

My red sex link laid her first egg at 14 weeks old and has been laying steadily every since. What breed is yours, Mrs.Lumpy?
I have 4, all the same age. They were hatched April 29, and received them May 1...
The RIR has a red comb, the Delaware, Plymouth White and Speckled Sussex have pink to reddish combs. I haven't noticed any squatting...
Broke the open tonight to find that one was a double yolk!

Last edited:

I have 4, all the same age. They were hatched April 29, and received them May 1...
The RIR has a red comb, the Delaware, Plymouth White and Speckled Sussex have pink to reddish combs. I haven't noticed any squatting...
Broke the open tonight to find that one was a double yolk!

I'm jealous, my RIR's didn't lay until almost 8 months. In fact 2 of the 3 just gave me my first eggs today. The third is a hold out.

My girls are almost 5 mnths now, I sure hope we r getting closer. They have been nibbling some oyster shells for a few days.

My girls are almost 5 mnths now, I sure hope we r getting closer. They have been nibbling some oyster shells for a few days.
I'm going to guess that the 2 girls on the left will be laying first. The one in the back and the one playing by the gutter don't seem as far along. Hope you get your eggs soon!

Any expert advice on how close these ladies are? They were hatched May 5, so will be 16 weeks on Sunday. The 2 on the left (RIR and Plymouth Rock) have both pecked at the oyster shell, but they seem to just pick it up and then drop it. Idk if the others (EE and silkie bantam) have even touched it. I have not observed any squatting.

Quote:
I would say the RIR is closest (within a month). Watch her for nervous pacing, LOUD sqwaking, and poking around the nest box.

Back
Top Bottom