First Egg Countdown

Congratulations everyone on their first egg(s)!

My BO starting laying a little over a week ago and has only missed one day. Still waiting on my EE, BA and Wellie. The BA is a very dramatic squatter, but has not produced...yet. The EE and Wellie aren't showing any signs.

They are all a bit over 20 weeks.

First Brahma egg today next to BSL egg. Cute little thing. She was in the nest box like a good girl, then came out for some scratch...then whoops. Shocked her as much as me, I think. :)

Hello there! I've been a member of this site for quite some time, but have yet to post anything. I love coming on here to read about everyone else's chickens though! Anyway....our hens (2 Tetra Tints and 3 Red Sex Links) are roughly 18 weeks now (as of Sunday) and we are anxiously awaiting our first egg! No squatting or singing yet though :( My other half is more anxious than I about getting an egg...he's been rambling on about an egg breakfast he wants to have before fall LOL! I am dying to go out there and find an egg in our nest box and it's driving me insane watching everyone post about their girls starting to squat and lay!

~Cennet
Welcome! Glad you decided to join us!

We have 16 BO pullets that were 18 weeks old yesterday 8/26/13 and got our 1st egg yesterday and another today from the same hen, "little red" we call her because she has had a bright red comb and waddles for about 2 weeks now...none of the others are as mature as she is and...SHE IS THE SMALLEST OF THE LOT...! The others are showing varying stages of color on their combs/waddles, everything from no color at all to different shades of pink. We have several VERY LARGE girls and the strange thing is...they are showing the least color...!? If anyone has an explanation I would sure like to hear it...

This is little red after her 1st egg

First egg...small but perfect
Congrats!

First Brahma egg today next to BSL egg. Cute little thing. She was in the nest box like a good girl, then came out for some scratch...then whoops. Shocked her as much as me, I think.
smile.png
Can't miss out on scratch! Congrats!

WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG!! We r sure Eyebrows, our black australorp, is our culprit.....once she noticed I had it she had to come tell me all about it. 1 down 3 more ladies to go

Waiting for the first egg. I think my leghorn is close. 18wks old. And look at that comb. No song & no squatting though. So exciting!!!

I'm not sure I understand your question. They can practice in the nest boxes before they start laying.

WE GOT OUR FIRST EGG!! We r sure Eyebrows, our black australorp, is our culprit.....once she noticed I had it she had to come tell me all about it. 1 down 3 more ladies to go

Nice, congrats!

Waiting for the first egg. I think my leghorn is close. 18wks old. And look at that comb. No song & no squatting though. So exciting!!!

Yes, she is going to lay any day now. She's super close!

2 of my 4 girls have been laying everyday for about a week now, and today neither one of them left me anything. Is this normal?

Another question:
We have pretty much a full 50 lb bag of grower feed and really don't want to go buy more food until need be. What can I add to the feed to make it closer to a layer feed? They already get meal worms periodically, corn and yogurt when they will eat it.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom