First egg!

squats if you just look at her.
:gig

another question, what is with all the scratched up cardboard in the box? Is that part of the process?
Pullets can really tear up a nest, until they get the hang of it. Having nests with front lips ~4" high can help keep the bedding in the nest.

My 18 week mixed mix laid her first today! She has been screeching at us non stop for 3 weeks and squats if you just look at her. Today she was separated for attacking the other silkie hen we have in the coop with her but we put her back and when I went to check on her there it was! She laid it right in the temp nesting box I put out for her made up of a cardboard box on its side. I wasn’t here when she was attacking or separated but I bet that egg was there and she was protecting it. Tell me if you think I’m right!

ETA: another question, what is with all the scratched up cardboard in the box? Is that part of the process?
:weeYour so lucky! Can't wait for my Orpingtons to lay. It should be soon! :)

Congrats on your first egg. I hope you read this before breakfast lol. We got our first egg thanksgiving day. I think your first egg is a trophy & a memory.

Here is what to do. Poke a small picture hanging nail in 1 end without cracking the egg.

Then take a toothpick and plunge it in and out until all the egg comes out.

Now you have an empty shell & memory of your first egg.

In my case our first egg just happened to be from a whiting true green & matches our new sage green china cabinet.
We get lots and lots of eggs now but will always remember the first one.
20191129_152048.jpg
20191129_152016.jpg
20191230_124603.jpg

Just an idea for you. You waited with anticipation for your first egg so perhaps you will like this idea. Anyhow congrats & may your girls lay many more.

Congrats on your first egg. I hope you read this before breakfast lol. We got our first egg thanksgiving day. I think your first egg is a trophy & a memory.

Here is what to do. Poke a small picture hanging nail in 1 end without cracking the egg.

Then take a toothpick and plunge it in and out until all the egg comes out.

Now you have an empty shell & memory of your first egg.

In my case our first egg just happened to be from a whiting true green & matches our new sage green china cabinet.
We get lots and lots of eggs now but will always remember the first one. View attachment 1991771 View attachment 1991772 View attachment 1991774

Just an idea for you. You waited with anticipation for your first egg so perhaps you will like this idea. Anyhow congrats & may your girls lay many more.

Darn, we just cracked it about an hour ago! We have 5 more girls yet to lay their fist egg so I will do it for them and put their names on them and keep them for memories. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
My 18 week mixed mix laid her first today! She has been screeching at us non stop for 3 weeks and squats if you just look at her. Today she was separated for attacking the other silkie hen we have in the coop with her but we put her back and when I went to check on her there it was! She laid it right in the temp nesting box I put out for her made up of a cardboard box on its side. I wasn’t here when she was attacking or separated but I bet that egg was there and she was protecting it. Tell me if you think I’m right!

ETA: another question, what is with all the scratched up cardboard in the box? Is that part of the process?
Congrats! I agree she was doing it for her egg. Do you know what mix she is? I love that color, its so dark.

Congrats! I agree she was doing it for her egg. Do you know what mix she is? I love that color, its so dark.

We have no idea. A friend had them hatch at her farm and they had been abandoned. I’ve seen her chickens and none of them look like the 2 she gave us. I have had people on here say they look like American game mixes. Be included a pic of her and her brother for guessing!

Attachments

• 95E3476A-169D-4061-AB79-9F74988F7573.png
    95E3476A-169D-4061-AB79-9F74988F7573.png
    3 MB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom