First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

I'm only on my second round of CX but did a ton of reading before venturing into it. most alternatives I've seen seem to take a long time to grow out and cost quite a bit more per pound to produce. I've found a strain (cobb 500 CX) and a regimen for feeding that seems to be working very well with few physical issues, if any. I put the food and the water up so they have to stand to eat and drink and I leave them far apart to make them walk and I reduce the protein count occasionally if I see lots of loose stools. these birds are plucky, run around, stay active, dig holes in the substrate looking for food bits overnight. in keeping them to breeding age, is the hope to find a way to produce the chicks yourself? I can definitely see an advantage in that I can not find a way to purchase the eggs anywhere. how hard would it be to keep the two parent crosses and breed the cobb 500 myself? seems like exercise/free ranging if possible and lower protein would do the trick with the COBB 500 to get them to breeding age ... has anyone bread them out? my focus, being in a suburban environment has been to produce a freezer full of meat in as short a period of time as is humane (by my standards) allowing for my operation to not overwhelm the neighbors I share fence with (5 of them). I absolutely can not free range them, my neighbors would call the city in a second if they knew how many chickens I had in my coop and I'm sure the city would find something, even though I'm within the 6 adult bird limit.
Good luck finding the 2 parent crosses... supposed to be a trade secret, but has been said involves a 2 or 4 way cross with white plymouth rock and white cornish(hard to find)

Mam oh man a cold snap can stun a cx's growth. They are finally chunking out to weight. Tbe cold caused them to get feathers not meat.
1f632.png
cold weather go away.

What you should do is breed two cx, then breed the offspring with dixie rainbows, and breed the offspring with another cx. Only problem is keeping the cx alive to sexual maturity.

Well a sad morning
hit.gif
the CX hen I kept would have been 1 yr next week... I found her dead, stiff and purple... comb almost black... She had laid 1 egg this spring a few weeks back... I was thinking yesterday I should think about soup...too late now.. she was 12.28lbs
I have one pullet and 3 cockerels out of her from last fall... The older hens will not accept 'romance' from the cockerels, but I have 2 younger ones that do...and the pullet is laying so not all is lost.
RIP 'little fatty'

Well a sad morning
hit.gif
the CX hen I kept would have been 1 yr next week... I found her dead, stiff and purple... comb almost black... She had laid 1 egg this spring a few weeks back... I was thinking yesterday I should think about soup...too late now.. she was 12.28lbs
I have one pullet and 3 cockerels out of her from last fall... The older hens will not accept 'romance' from the cockerels, but I have 2 younger ones that do...and the pullet is laying so not all is lost.
RIP 'little fatty'

Oh Gosh! I know how bad you feel. All that time and work gone in an instant.

I hope you get a ton of little "insert your name for them here" Fatties from the daughter. It sure is hard to keep them alive any amount of time.

Oh Gosh! I know how bad you feel. All that time and work gone in an instant.

I hope you get a ton of little "insert your name for them here" Fatties from the daughter. It sure is hard to keep them alive any amount of time.
Thank you.. I know you understand all too well... and through your experiences I was prepared for this day.
So glad she started laying and had offspring hatched last fall

Thank you.. I know you understand all too well... and through your experiences I was prepared for this day.
So glad she started laying and had offspring hatched last fall

As much as you try and in your brain you know it can happen and most likely will. BUT you still can't believe it when it happened.

Do you have pictures of the daughter and her mate?

Back
Top Bottom