First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Quote:
Is this for Cornish Cross? Or just a general question? It seems ( I have not raised them, but I've read a ton about them) that they don't really like to roost, they just pile up in the floor, and that it can actually be dangerous for them to roost as they get heavier.

Quote:

You're kidding where did you hear or read they do not like to roost? They are chickens they like to do everything chickens do. People do not give them any respect and raise them like pigs and then complain the CX are dirty smelly fat lazy birds.

Sorry, I find them to be amongst the sweetest bird there is and what we, as humans, have done to create them is nothing short of criminal.

You're kidding where did you hear or read they do not like to roost?  They are chickens they like to do everything chickens do.    People do not give them any respect and raise them like pigs and then complain the CX are dirty smelly fat lazy birds.  

Sorry, I find them to be amongst the sweetest bird there is and what we, as humans, have done to create them  is nothing short of criminal.
im with you. I love my cx. The only one i ever compare to a pid is my oldest pullet. She has mud on her back from her bcm boy toy. Other than that they are grrat birds that live to roost, just a bit lower, and love dust bathing and eating bugs.

Quote:

You're kidding where did you hear or read they do not like to roost? They are chickens they like to do everything chickens do. People do not give them any respect and raise them like pigs and then complain the CX are dirty smelly fat lazy birds.

Sorry, I find them to be amongst the sweetest bird there is and what we, as humans, have done to create them is nothing short of criminal.

Ok, I shouldn't have said that they don't LIKE to roost, more that they can't get their fluff butts up on a 3 foot roost once they get some weight on them, and more importantly, if they DO get up there, they don't exactly land gracefully when they jump down.

I remember reading about you being worried to death because your roo wouldn't sleep on the ground and instead perched on a feed bag that you had to lift him down from each morning so that he wouldn't break a leg when jumping down... Doesn't sound like a bird I would provide a roosting bar to, unless it's about 4 inches off the ground...

Yep, he did, I did worry about him. BUT I continued to let him sleep on the feed bag. A chicken needs some kind of quality it's life.

My Toad roost a whole 18 inches in the air, but they do roost.

So, if for whatever reason you had not been able to get him off of his feed bag one morning, and he jumped down and shattered his legs, and had to sit there for a few hours before someone found him, that would be better than just staying on the ground where he was safe? Also, didn't that roo die from an infection in his leg that was most likely due to landing too hard on his foot?

Your toads are not pure CX, they are a little hardier and a little less prone to just keeling over for no reason. Yes, they roost, and I would allow that, but if I were going to be raising CX to adulthood, there wouldn't be anything in the coup that they could roost on except maybe some 4x4s secured right at the top of the litter so that they could step up onto it, and step back down on their own.

This is entirely a moot point though as the OP of this little mini conversation wasn't talking about CX at all, just layers, as I suspected by the droppings tray and a higher roost being mentioned, as well as the next boxes that were mentioned. Not sure why it was put in this thread.

My pure CX did jump down on his own. I am not a liberal than thinks I can protect all creatures and all people from all danger.

If he broke his leg it would have been sad. But at least he had a chance to live his life as a chicken like a chicken....

BTW We have spend enough time on this subject.

Guys this all started on my question, yet nobody has done anything except argue about roosting...
1f610.png

Back
Top Bottom