First Time Egg Candler Scared!

I have no idea about that extra space but I was just wondering if you can see any movement inside the egg? Any clues that they chicks are ok?
I didn't candle them long enough and I have read many posts where folks cannot see movement at this point and they hatch fine so I don't want to use that as an indicator. I will just lock them down tonight and see what happens by monday.

I didn't candle them long enough and I have read many posts where folks cannot see movement at this point and they hatch fine so I don't want to use that as an indicator. I will just lock them down tonight and see what happens by monday. 
Yes, I would definitely lockdown! I was just wondering if there was any indicators that would help ease your mind! I hope they all hatch healthy!! I know I'm a nervous wreck over the whole thing!! Hang in there!! :)

I had a couple that had a bit more clear-ish area in the pointy end than I would have liked to have seen, but they hatched fine. Those might have been the ones that were a little sticky, I'm not sure though. They develop a bunch in the last days, so don't be too alarmed just yet. Good luck!

Do they look more full if you candle them from the top of the egg? Shining the light into the air cells and down?

Yes, I would definitely lockdown! I was just wondering if there was any indicators that would help ease your mind! I hope they all hatch healthy!! I know I'm a nervous wreck over the whole thing!! Hang in there!!
smile.png
Problem with that is movement now, doesn't indicate everything would be ok. My first hatch (bad thermometer) my chicks were behind going into lockdown and I could see movement in everyone of them..17 eggs. I only ended up with one hatching at day 24 and surviving. One hatched day 25 and died. I certainly don't want to be discouraging, and I am hoping to see some hatching here, just keeping it real. It really depends on how much delayed development we are looking at.

I had a couple that had a bit more clear-ish area in the pointy end than I would have liked to have seen, but they hatched fine. Those might have been the ones that were a little sticky, I'm not sure though. They develop a bunch in the last days, so don't be too alarmed just yet. Good luck!
I wonder. That's a good way of thinking, definitely good logic. If there was more noticeable albumen/liquid in it at candle, it could very well relate to the "stickiness".

Do they look more full if you candle them from the top of the egg? Shining the light into the air cells and down?

Problem with that is movement now, doesn't indicate everything would be ok. My first hatch (bad thermometer) my chicks were behind going into lockdown and I could see movement in everyone of them..17 eggs. I only ended up with one hatching at day 24 and surviving. One hatched day 25 and died. I certainly don't want to be discouraging, and I am hoping to see some hatching here, just keeping it real. It really depends on how much delayed development we are looking at.

Do you think he should delay locking down a day? I'm thinking maybe....

I don't think it matters as long as the air cells are decent. Eggs technically don't have to be turned past day 14 and if they are developmentally delayed more than the 4 days, chances of them making it are so slim. The only thing pushing back lockdown is going to really affect at this time is in the area of humidity. If the air cells are normal for 18 days gestation, then upping the humidity isn't going to change that. If they aren't sufficient for 18 days then. yes, pushing back lockdown would be beneficial. That's the only reason I would I would hold back at this time though.

Yes, I would definitely lockdown! I was just wondering if there was any indicators that would help ease your mind! I hope they all hatch healthy!! I know I'm a nervous wreck over the whole thing!! Hang in there!!
smile.png
Thank you Ruby! I did not see any movement, but the temp gun indicates their temp is 1.5 to 2 degrees higher than the one I know is not alive. So I'm assuming they are still growing and putting off some of their own heat.

I looked up day 18 candling on BYC and there was a post or two talking about my same concern. At least one of them followed up and said they hatched out fine.

I will candle top down before lockdown tonight and see if they look more full. Real is what I prefer, thanks Amy.

I do think my temps in the beginning were low and that development is possibly delayed. I'm still going to lock down and bring up humidity for the chicks that might be on schedule and because I think it's less likely to hurt the later developers. At least I think.
idunno.gif
I'm going to expect some late hatches and hope for the best.

I don't think it matters as long as the air cells are decent. Eggs technically don't have to be turned past day 14 and if they are developmentally delayed more than the 4 days, chances of them making it are so slim. The only thing pushing back lockdown is going to really affect at this time is in the area of humidity. If the air cells are normal for 18 days gestation, then upping the humidity isn't going to change that. If they aren't sufficient for 18 days then. yes, pushing back lockdown would be beneficial. That's the only reason I would I would hold back at this time though.
I think the air cells look pretty good. I did the dry/low humidity and it seemed to work fine. I'm comfortable with the air cells so I will increase humidity tonight.

I do think they are a bit delayed but my gut tells me it's not more than 2 days. That being said I'm a bit of an optimist, I bought shipped eggs right?
tongue.png

Agreed, I was just thinking keeping the humidity down for one more day might give them a little more developmental time without the higher humidity. But if some are developing on time, then that's probably not the best option.

Sorry SideWing... I don't mean to talk about you like you aren't in the room. LOL The one picture that shows the air cell really well looks good for air cell size. Are they all about like that?

ETA - never mind, I see you just answered that question...
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom