First Time Hatcher... UPDATE w PICS

CaliBlueChicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 18, 2009
SF Bay Area
Hello All,
I am so excited, went outside this morning to find that my hen had some peep peep peeping under her.
big_smile.png
It is her first batch and mine as well! 4 out of 8 have hatched so far. She is a Blue Orpington. Here are my questions, latley it has been cool outside... high of 60 low of 40. Should I bring them inside? With the hen or without? if I blocked off an area for hen and chicks in the coop and put a light in there would that suffice? I also wanted to interact with them and handle them so that they are used to me... does anyone have any suggestions? Anyhoo, I am super excited
smile.png
Yippee! Ok I took pictures, I am going to post them now. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
If they were mine I would either bring them inside together with mom, or put a light out in a brooder. Rule of thumb is that they need to be at 95* the first week. Then you can go down 5* every week.

Thank you for your help! Yea I was feeling like bringing them inside... the only thing I worry about is LOL when my husband comes home to see them in the kitchen. Here are the pictures, I took them with my cell phone so they are sideways and blurry.
37053_duckys_first_hatch_4.jpg
37053_duckys_first_hatch_2.jpg
37053_duckys_first_hatch.jpg

So I decided to bring the momma and chicks in because I really didnt have a way to make her a brooder outside. So I just got a plastic storage container for now
smile.png
Here are the pictures!

37053_duckys_first_hatch_009.jpg

37053_duckys_first_hatch_010.jpg

37053_duckys_first_hatch_012.jpg

Momma teaching them how to eat
smile.png

37053_duckys_first_hatch_018.jpg

37053_duckys_first_hatch_024.jpg

37053_duckys_first_hatch_029.jpg

Too cute they ran over to the camera to see what it was, and every time I would stick the camera in there they would run over hehe!
37053_duckys_first_hatch_028.jpg

Back
Top Bottom