Five toed breeds

Quote:
Can persist for many generations. Polydactyly is dominant, as is foot feathering. (actually there are several genes for each, but the predominant ones of both are dominant--eac does have a recessive gene, though).

Ok, here goes my attempt at posting her pics.
79995_weird_chicken.jpg

79995_egg1.jpg
The second pic is one of her eggs.

She is gorgeous!! Wow!!

I just had a hatchling from an elicite affair, mother was a cochin naked neck cross, father I am told is a silver splash polish. one has normal feet, naked neck and a bit of a crest, the other is full feathers and has 5 toes on one foot and 5 on the other.. no silkies involved, no telling whose really in there, I hatched them because I was told there was a polish guy involved and wanted to see a crester nn

My silkies have 5 toes!
To the pic above me...
looks like a Wayandotte!

Last edited:
We just bought what we thought were three Blue Wheaten Ameracaunas, but one has blue legs with a bit of fur, yellow toes and two shorter toes that are behind the three front toes. What on earth is this little one? I guess we'll have to figure it out when it grows a bit, it is still only about 3 weeks old right now! So unexpected. I learned something new. I had no idea some chics have five toes!

Ok, SAVE MY MARRIAGE! LOL Hubby and I are arguing about Captain Friz. He has 5 toes. He is supposed to be purebred frizzle. So if frizzles don't have 5 toes, what is he?

I can take toe pix tomorrow if that would help.

Ok, SAVE MY MARRIAGE! LOL Hubby and I are arguing about Captain Friz. He has 5 toes. He is supposed to be purebred frizzle. So if frizzles don't have 5 toes, what is he?

I can take toe pix tomorrow if that would help.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not huge on frizzle genetics, but I can tell you frizzle is a feather gene, not a breed. You could breed the frizzle into pretty much any breed, if you were so inclined. Lots of frizzles are based on Cochins, and Cochins get mixed with Silkies all the time, so my first guess would be a Cochin/Silkie mix, with the Silkie far enough up the tree to lose the comb. I'm not aware of any white, five toed, non-crested, straight combed pure breeds. Looking at him, my guess would have been frizzled Cochin. Are you sure there are five toes, or are you possibly counting the spur?

OOps. I forgot to take toe pix. Definitely 5 and no sign of spurs yet....16 weeks old.

I get it now....Frizzle is just a feather genetics and any breed can be frizzled. So he looks like a cochin to me except for the 5 toes.

I'll try to remember to get toe pix.

Back
Top Bottom