Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

:)try the fake hornet nest, my mom put 1 up on her deck & no flies or wasp and they wer pretty bad so i have 2 and no flies , wasp or hornets. get them off of amazon.com THEY WORK!!!!!

Quote:
I tried this and it didn't work here, but I am totally trying the vanilla thing and I like vanilla so that is awesome!! I am off to the store today!!

The ziploc bag thing is to make them think it is a hornet's nest, not for reflection. You see them hanging in the French Quarter, and that's what they're for. I think it's more of an old wive's tale more than an actual thing that works. But, they must have gotten the idea somewhere. I must admit though, I used to hang them outside of my coffee shop and I thought they worked fine.

I responded to a thread about the stinky fly traps about these vanilla air fresheners. I used them too and they work wonders! In a 10 by 12 coop I placed 4 in there, altho there are a few flies nothing like it was before I tried this myself! few bucks and your problems are solved
big_smile.png
However chicken poo and vanilla air fresheners are not a good mix
sickbyc.gif

I just caught this thread and I had to laugh...I just put one in my van out of a three pack I bought. Well, I guess the other ones are off to the coop! Thanks so much for the post...My coop will be the best smelling on the block.
yippiechickie.gif

So I WANTED TO TRY THIS...BUT THEN IT RAINED REALLY HARD right when I was ready to run to the store! So, I gave up, went inside, and found a bottle of Vanilla Fields I got as a gift 2 years ago! (wasn't driving in another storm on my day off!) SPRAYED THE PORCH LIKE MAD!!!! All the chairs, the wood, the plants, myself, the dogs (they were in the way)The flies were far less today than yesterday (I sit out there a lot) - not totally gone, but by far much more tolerable! We have a covered porch, and with the rain all week, the flies have been congregating up there, doing conga lines, tap dancing, having tea parties - can't blame 'em, it's wet in the yard! SO IN MY OPINION - this is a win! PLUS my porch smells YUMMY! Once that bottle is gone, I may invest in some cheap vanilla smell good from the dollar general and see how that goes....

It makes sense. Insects also don't like the smell of lavender or eucalyptus oils. That would probably work too, although lavender isn't as strong as vanilla, so you might need more of those. I've heard people can put fresh eucalyptus around their house to repel creepy crawlies. A lot of these strongly scented essential oils produced by plants were originally adaptations against being eaten by insects. Most herbs work this way. I wouldn't think that "fake" vanilla smell would actually work as well (or better?), but obviously it does.

Maybe that is why I didn't have as many flies last year. This yr they r terrible. I used the vanilla car fresheners, vanilla oil, potpourri liquid, and sprayed the entire coop with vanilla to keep the buffalo gnats away. guess I need to go respray to get rid of flies!!!

edited to add: I use a bug sprayer thing(never had anything in it except my vanilla) I bought at Ace Hardware and fill it with vanilla and water and vanilla potpourri oil...
Edited: OOPS not Essential Oils... vanilla extract and big jugs of potpourri liquid, no EO in them.

Last edited:
Be careful with essential oils; they are very concentrated and can be dangerous to other animals and birds. The plants themselves are OK since they have not been concentrated, and, if they are not poisonous. Don't experiment with essential oils unless you know what you're doing. I've studied for several years and am not comfortable at all giving EO advice for pets OTHER than just don't use them unless advised by an expert....

Quote:
I have been telling people for YEARS that vanilla extract works as a mosquito repellant, no one listens....fine you all can get bugged by bugs. LOL. I am seriously allergic to mosquitos and other biting flies and this is the only thing that works for me really, and you can spray it all over yourself, even your face. I never thought about the car air freshener though.

Back
Top Bottom