Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

This really works! I was searching for a way to get rid of the black flies from all the poo ! I have ducks chickens and now geese! Poo poo and more poo! So flies were outta control !!! I came upon this thread and went and got 12 vanillaroma scented tree air freshners ASAP. I have an 8/8 coop so I hung 3 in there and 6 outside in my backyard in various tree limbs - boom! No more flies! It was amazing!!! Even after rain 3 -4 x you can still smell the vanilla in my backyard! It's 10 days strong so far and in a few more days ill change to new ones . It's AWESOME!

I'm pretty desperate for a solutions here. In North Texas they are very thick. I was at a silkie breeders place last week and they had about 5 brooders in an open air garage and almost no flies. They had a humidifier set up. I should have paid closer attention but he said they put something in the humidifier water that keeps the flies away. It sounded like a chemical not a herb but I cant be sure since I can't remember what it was. I wonder if you did the same thing with a mix of herbs extracts if it would work.

I've done the plastic bag thing and it does not work at all. I'm going to try the vanilla thing. It's logical, and for a few bucks why not.

I stumbled across this DIY Skeeter trap. The skeeters don't seem to care but it's catching flies like mad.

Can't find the page but basically take a 2 liter coke bottle and cut in half. Flip the top upside down and put it inside/ontop of the bottom making, a funnel into the bottom. Pour sugar, water, and active yeast in there.

It is full everyday but I'm looking more for a deterrent.

Emptied it today. Here's a few photos for NY interested.

It works for sure but there are just to many to catch.

It's been thunder storming here a lot so ... Hello flies again.. but today I reinstalled new lil trees.

I don't even care if it rains . A lil help is better than none. They work! Love it

That is excellent to know! I just logged in to search for different options as I can't take the smell of the bag that has the horrific smell of god knows what! I can handle the smell of cheap vanilla any day over this smell. It's so embarrassing too! We're trying to encourage more counties legalize chickens and having this smell will NOT help the cause when they come to visit.
Was there a specific brand you use? I going out TODAY and buy some and will post my results. I also use DE but haven't noticed any difference. We live in a very dry climate with literally no moisture if that should make any difference.
Can't wait to try this!
Thank you!

I don't know why, but the vanilla trees didn't work for me. I hung 2 in my milking room, about a 10x10 space. Maybe 2 isn't enough?

Back
Top Bottom