Lazy Farmer

Gallus gallus domesticus
7 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Florida Peninsula
My Coop
My Coop
This is not my video, just sharing something I saw and thought was intriguing. The settings on the posted video are set for share so here it is.
I was only researching the effects of float testing on the early stages of development, as hoping to learn if the float test does in fact, wash away some or all of the natural bloom. When I found this video, the live chick wiggling in the water still in the egg, it blew my mind.
I can only assume the water is heated to match the incubator temperature but I have had problems with humidity and wet hatches in recent hatches.
Question, how much water is being absorbed into the shell during this test.
High moisture leads to leg splay and umbilical abnormalities in my situations.
Watch this video and give me your thoughts but give credit for the media to the author.

Hypothesis: could you test absorption with extra eggs/ shells and a very finely calculated scale? Weigh them before and after based on video time?
I was always told not to wet the shells because possibility of drowning of chick during the last 3 days of the cycle, I thought. "To be careful adding water to the channels and don't get any water splashing or dripping on the eggs".
Also told to use a turkey baster when adding water so water doesn't get on the eggs...
Now I found a video of someone giving swimming lessons to wiggling eggs...:confused:

I've never understood the need to float test eggs. I would think with float testing you would run the risk of extra water absorption (although it would be minimal based on how long they float for) also the risk of bacterial infection with continued handling of the eggs. With continued handling there is also the risk of dropping an egg or bumping it off of something. If you wipe off excess water after swimming lessons you could remove the bloom as well, thus making them more prone to bacterial infection. Although with duck eggs some people will mist them towards the end of the incubation period to help with the ducklings hatching.
Not something I would personally do but then again I also only candle eggs once during incubation and am of the mindset that if it can't hatch on it's own (unless there's been a human error on my part) then I don't need it in my flock.

I hate the float test. Have seen too many people open eggs and find live chicks and they say "but it sunk"... or "it didn't move"... or "it didn't float"

The ONLY thing the float test can definitively prove is that one is alive.... IF it wiggles! And you can usually see that by candling.

I've never understood the need to float test eggs. I would think with float testing you would run the risk of extra water absorption (although it would be minimal based on how long they float for) also the risk of bacterial infection with continued handling of the eggs. With continued handling there is also the risk of dropping an egg or bumping it off of something. If you wipe off excess water after swimming lessons you could remove the bloom as well, thus making them more prone to bacterial infection. Although with duck eggs some people will mist them towards the end of the incubation period to help with the ducklings hatching.
Not something I would personally do but then again I also only candle eggs once during incubation and am of the mindset that if it can't hatch on it's own (unless there's been a human error on my part) then I don't need it in my flock.
That is exactly what I was researching, "what happens to the bloom, if you float test?" How much washes off?
I have heard of float testing PRE INCUBATION, but to see it that late in the development stage just knocked my socks off.
I am an extreme humidity conscience hatcher. I use aux meters and tweak to optimum non dangerous levels since we had that catastrophic batch a few months, contributing to major umbilical probs and leg splays in half the hatch.
I never want to see such a site again. Now I see a video of emersed in water eggs that are wiggling.
Brain overload....

X2 Much as it hurts, I gotta agree :)

Back
Top Bottom