FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Can anyone help me with incubator questions? This high humidity we are having (by others standards) has me concerned with my first hatch. Humidity is running around 70%. Will this be O.K.? Everyone says keep it around 50% and raise ity to 70 for lockdown. How do you get it down to 50% ?? Our humidity is always above that in Fla!!Thanks . ........stan

Quote:
Hi Stan - That is pretty high. Do you have water in the bottom? I would reduce the water if you do. Also, open the vents. That can help with humidity, but of course will also mess with your temperature, so you will have to watch it for a couple of days. In my opinion, 70% is kind of high even for lockdown. When I have the humidity that high, I have a lower hatch rate. I keep it at about 35% for incubating and 55% for hatching and since then have had no problems with chicks dying in the shell or splayed legs. There may be others with more experience who can help.

Good luck!

Thanks Sjisty,
I am thinking a big part of my problem is due to the fact that I am close to the coast and we have a breeze blowing off the water this week. I will try to open the vents, but the humidity outside the incubator is as high as inside. I don't understand how adding more humid air will lower the humidity, but am willing to try it! I have had success doing lots of things I do not understand!. Hopefully the wind will change direction in a day or so and it wil go down, or it will get hotter and the AC will run more. .....stan

Quote:
I am in Florida too. I don't add any water and that keeps the humidity under 50%. If the humidity drops too low - - - which doesn't happen that often - - I use a spray bottle and give the incubator 1 squirt / mist of water.

Tigercreek, I do run with humidity 60 - 70% during lock down. I aim for 65% during lockdown.
I aim for 40 - 50% during the first 18 days.

Last edited:
Hello All,

We are in the Sarasota area/South West FL

18 hens
1 rooster
13 chicks arriving soon (yipee!) - which will take the totals when grown to 30 and 2

Next year I hope to try hatching my own.
smile.png

hey nava i just got some LF neacked neck eggs from the dep of poultry science at the university of arkansass they are the dubel dominateand through chicks that are 100% neacked necks
tongue.gif
bun.gif
they also carry a resesive gene that will through totally naecked ( no feathers at all ) about less then 1% will post pics later

Quote:
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

can you post pics of the parents?

Ohhhh you don't even like NN's I think you just want to be mean
tongue.gif

so is that my ticket to POOPS?

Quote:
Wolfbayfarm..... we are in DeFuniak Springs. Just down the road from you! What type of chickens do you have? We currently have partridge rock and red star.

Back
Top Bottom