Hugs, it isn’t easy.
The antibiotics - is Jaffar getting his full prescribed dose if he’s sharing with Bo? Then, the concern with Bopeeps would be that she’s getting only a tiny dose of antibiotics that could help create resistant bacteria because it’s not overwhelming enough for the ones inside her. So those ones resistant multiply and spread through the tribe.
And actually the same for Sir J, if he doesn’t get the right dose for the full time he could harbor resistant bacteria.

And actually the same for Sir J, if he doesn’t get the right dose for the full time he could harbor resistant bacteria.
Sir Jaffar is a fighter. He doesn’t die easily. Yesterday he started to wry neck back and forth and I held him down, thinking this was the end. But no it wasn’t, he calmly took a deep breath and regained his composure.

Sir Jaffar is a fighter. He doesn’t die easily. Yesterday he started to wry neck back and forth and I held him down, thinking this was the end. But no it wasn’t, he calmly took a deep breath and regained his composure.
Is it his heart that is weak? I know he’s got breathing issues. :hugs

And she is still getting calcium every other night, have to be careful with over doing calcium though, it can affect the heart. Calcium is use in muscle contractions which is why dairy cows get ‘milk fever’ where they have low calcium levels after they calve, they are mot able to stand up and will die if they don’t get calcium. An intravenous dose of calcium and it’s like a miracle - they stand up and walk away! But too much and they can have a heart attack.
It is very, very, hard to overdose on oral calcium.
In your example of the cow with milk fever it is a delicate balance to give the calcium very slowly to cure the cow and not cause cardiac problems. But that is intravenous calcium.
Oral calcium is actually very poorly absorbed and the bulk of it just passes straight through.
It is theoretically possible to cause heart problems with oral calcium but really very, very, very unlikely.

Is it his heart that is weak? I know he’s got breathing issues. :hugs
So do I.I have high blood pressure issues too. Today he’s been eating and drinking a little. Thing is, I’m a bit of an important person in this community, getting some “get well soon” flowers for Sir Jaffar”The church pastor drove 15 miles just to bless him and pray over him. Sir Jaffar is a celebrity in this Central Valley community.

Bernie’s butt is looking rather fine today I think.
I did a bit of clean-up after dark a few nights ago.
IMG_5676.jpeg

Only thing with that theory is the bigger bossy gals get it all scarfed back in 20 min leaving just the grit and pellets. I only feed a small feeder full of it, one of those feeders used with chicks. With 32 birds it gets emptied fast! The feed is a layer ration, 17% textured layer - so it has the calcium added with the limestone grit and in the pellets - they pick at it but yep finish off the grains first thing.

Their main feed is the 17% pelleted layer.

And as per the Vet, I have not given any table scraps and treats at all, she only get an hr or so of grass outside in the evening; I feed the morning porridge once again mixed with the high protein supplement which also has calcium for layers.

And she is still getting calcium every other night, have to be careful with over doing calcium though, it can affect the heart. Calcium is use in muscle contractions which is why dairy cows get ‘milk fever’ where they have low calcium levels after they calve, they are mot able to stand up and will die if they don’t get calcium. An intravenous dose of calcium and it’s like a miracle - they stand up and walk away! But too much and they can have a heart attack.
Her getting calcium every other day really ought to have remedied this if it were due to lack of calcium! Her shell gland isn’t functioning, or things are going through too fast…I don’t mean this entirely seriously, but I wonder if there’s such a thing as Imodium for slowing down the peristalsis that moves the egg along?

Back
Top Bottom