Food grade DE, where in the world???

Mrs. Mucket :

I have not been able to find food grade in my locale either. What is in the non-food-grade that is harmful?

Food grade DE differs from pool grade in that the pool grade DE has been calcified and the silica then becomes very sharp crystals.

It can cause damage to lungs if inhaled and has a very severe drying property which is why gloves and breathing apparatus should be worn when using pool grade DE.

From Wikipedia:

Diatomaceous earth (pronounced /ˌdaɪ.ətəˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 1 micrometre to more than 1 millimeter, but typically 10 to 200 micrometres.[1] This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of oven dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide[2], absorbent for liquids, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.​

I found at agway in the chicken section some garden and poultry dust. It says it controls the same stuff and even helps with ants. Though i cant say i know for sure how it will compare to de since i haven't found some myself.

farmerinKC wrote: I went to a farm supply store here in Missouri--Orschlen's--and they seemed to have never heard of it. I guess I will order it on-line.

Check with MFA and some regular feed stores. Ask for Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth/Fossil Shell Flour. Two big manufacturers are: Celite Corp./Perma Guard. Our 50lb. bags ($25.00) are produced by Celite and distributed through Canton Mills, in MN, to our local feedstore.

Just more for thread:

Pool Grade is 20% CRYSTALLINE SILICA (inhaling `shards' of what amounts to `glass' can, indeed, result in Silicosis of the lung). ADE/FSF contains less than 1% crystalline silica.

`Food Grade' Amorphous Diatomaceous Earth does not kill insects by `cutting them up' it is a SORPTIVE DUST and kills by interfering with the outer waxy layer of the insect's exoskeleton, i,e., ADSORPTION and, as it continues this activity even after the insect is dead and, a dead insect doesn't move, no friction, e.g., `cutting/tearing' is necessary.

It is regarded as GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) by the FDA. The EPA also regards ADE as safe (requires different labeling) and can be used in the house/on pet beds/etc.

It is a relatively effective, relatively benign insecticide/desiccant. It is best used as a preventative. Some insects are more vulnerable than others. High humidity reduces its effectiveness.

For more info on the above, with links to EPA designation/mechanism of action/pricing info (don't get ripped off).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=294680&p=2 (post #20) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295586&p=2 (posts #'s 11/20/22).​

Quote:
Dear Husband.
big_smile.png

Oh Thanks for the clarification! I had NO clue.........Maybe it's because in my house the wife calls me just about everything but DEAR!
wink.png
.....LOL

TW

Quote:
That's not food grade DE - that is a pesticide with DE in it.

Yikes! I would have read the ingredients before buying anyway! But I just found out Agway is having a Memorial Day sale! Go to the website and get the coupons!!!

Back
Top Bottom