Food grade DE, where in the world???

Quote:
I did ask at the local feed store, that is run by that local farmer who sent me to the pool supply. The only other place I know is Agway, who didn't know what I was talking about. I am doomed.....

I did ask at the local feed store, that is run by that local farmer who sent me to the pool supply. The only other place I know is Agway, who didn't know what I was talking about. I am doomed.....

Call the feed store back and ask for Fossil Shell Flour When I called mine about getting some DE they didnt have a clue until I was describing it and they said "Ohhhh! You mean fossil shell flour!" Sure enough that's what it says, on the back of the bag anyways..I can't turn it over to see the front as my delivery person got a hole in the bag ...
roll.png

Last edited:
Mrs. Mucket :

Our local feed store only has DE for the garden and the label says avoid using around pets. I guess it's something for a trip to the big city.

The DE for the garden is food grade. If it can be used in/on/around food, it can be used in/around/on your chickens.

It's a shame so many farm supply stores do not carry it and don't even know what it is. I suppose it depends on what part of the country you're in. I think one of the reasons I love being out here in California is that, while we do have a lotta stupid laws out here, you can get what you want within an hour's drive no matter where you live in the state, regardless of whether you're looking for DE or household items or an exotic specialty food item or whatever it may be. I'll take my stupid laws with a grain of salt in order to not have to scrape tooth-and-nail for the items I want.

The one thing I am trying to find out here that I can't find is white faced black Spanish chickens. Nobody out here seems to have them.​

chickensducks&agoose :

How much do you need? I can swing by my local farm store tomorrow, and my SIL is headed back to Boston on Sunday....

How much is it? What quantities does it come in? And, wow, what an awesome offer!!! How sweet are you and your SIL!​

Do you have any health food stores near you? We have a good foods co-op in Lexington, Ky that carries smaller amounts. I usually order mine online though. I googled food grade diatamaceous earth. Granted, shipping is usually equal to the cost but it is great as a natural wormer and dusting agent.

Back
Top Bottom