Food Scraps?

I have found that to be true as well. They get finicky and don't eat as much of the layer feed. I also monitor their poop and it seems that the spinach and sweet potato turns it darker and looser. I do not feed anything spoiled or with high sugar or salt content. I fed them soaked navy beans once which they loved, but they had terrible gas. I picked one up and it was like I sat on a whoppie cushion.
D.gif
Oh my! that is too funny, I didn't know that chickens could get gas
lau.gif
, I'm new to chickens and it probably shows!

Well, I've had chooks for years, and I never knew they got gas either...LOL that is too funny! Guess it just makes sense tho, guess they don't digest them well either...
And I guess you do need to introduce mealworms to them when they are young or they wouldn't recognise them as food, seems strange!

pop.gif

That reminds me, I heard from one of my friends that once he gave chicken fruit that was left from wine making. He came to check later and all chicken were laying on the ground. Looked like if they were dead! He got really scared, thought that all his chicken died. Fortunately, they got up after a few hours. They were just drunk :D I don't recommend drunking your animals though.

A few years ago was up on the mountain hunting an came across a flock of 20 Spruce hens(Spruce Grouse), They were in a blue berry patch ( it had froze hard 2-3 days before an the berries had fermented) an they were drunk , they could not walk they stumbled I got a few of them for dinner an when I fried them up in the camper, it smelt of blue berry, an when I cleaned them there breasts were BLUE!! so feeding them wine left overs I can see where they would be drunk...lol

Oh my! that is too funny, I didn't know that chickens could get gas :lau , I'm new to chickens and it probably shows!

Chicken poop is the best equivalent of a chicken diary. If you pay attention you can even find out who their secret crush is.
Maybe I spent too much time with my chickens
Anyway, its a fantastic health indicator. If they don't like something it might even show up in the poo before the other end stops eating it.

My birds are SO weird! They are so scared of everything and don't ever want to try anything new. It's just the two of them so if one runs away screaming, the other follows right behind. They won't even eat bread crumbs! I am hoping they grow out of this, I hate to toss stuff I know they would enjoy! (they are about 2 months old now)

Give them some time. Still young. Mine now are 4mo and just are wanting to eat grass. Lol! Those are my polish hens. My rr and wl were at everything by 6wks.

We have 4 roosters with the 15 hens and we all get along! We handled them a lot when they were younger.

Some folks say DON'T treat roosters like pets as they will lose all fear/respect of humans and become mean.

Others say DO handle them a lot etc...

Does handling help? Or is it the luck of the draw? Why do some folks say don't be too friendly with your roosters when it is obvious that many people are?

I may have a roo and not yet know it, bought 3 chicks that are supposedly all hens but the seller isn't great at sexing them.

Back
Top Bottom