Food Scraps?

mine get scraps  from a deli , they also  like ground  moose ,they like  canned salmon, they don't care  for onions, they also like  oatmeal, an fermented feed every other  day or  so as  well as there  layer they  have access  to 24-7:thumbsup , so feed them  your  scrapes....

I hear allot of people talking about fermented feed? What's that all about and what do you use ? And how do you go about doing it

I understand the concept of containment now!! My chickens destroyed my compost pile... It's no longer a pile, it's spread out everywhere..... I guess I'm going to have to brick it in or something
1f60f.png

This is just 3 pallets stacked and a half pallet as an entrance. They hop in shred and eat and hop out. They really compact it down. My pile was up a good foot higher and they just Smash it down. Really compact and great for composting. I move the whole thing over and ten shovel the compost back in, water it and they go back at it. The like it better when it's wet.

This is just 3 pallets stacked and a half pallet as an entrance. They hop in shred and eat and hop out. They really compact it down. My pile was up a good foot higher and they just Smash it down. Really compact and great for composting. I move the whole thing over and ten shovel the compost back in, water it and they go back at it. The like it better when it's wet.

Thanks for sharing!! We have pallets upstairs.... I'm going to try again!! lol

Thanks for sharing!! We have pallets upstairs.... I'm going to try again!! lol
You're welcome. It probably doesn't need a top. I'm in Phoenix and the sun dries the pile out too fast. Have you seen the ones made of wire that are circular? They walk in and eat an can't scatter the pile either.

Oh wow that big!! Neat idea... :) thx for sharing.

@K9Dave no I haven't... I guess I need to do some research on containment. My DH wants me to so the barrel kind, he's OCD ... The whole point of it is so the girls can rummage, that would defeat the purpose..
1f60f.png
lol
Nice set up.

The larger te compost pile, the less chicken food they eat. Some don't even buy chicken food. Their compost pile has plenty of matter and bugs to fill them up. Of course that takes a nice size pile. I can't wait til I can have a huge compost for the chickens and garden.

Back
Top Bottom