For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
My 30 white leghorns started molting about 3 months back, eggs went down to 2 or 3 per day, they just started to lay again now but progress is very slow, the eggs are very small just like pullet eggs like as if they are starting over again.

I lost 10 of my hens during this period, they just died, do chickens die because of molting ?

I haven't had them die during molting, but I suppose they could. With 10 deaths though, I'd think you have something else going on in your flock.

I was just about to post a question regarding molting that I hadnt seen asked, and Happy Chook two pages earlier touched on it. Prolonging light and molt. My question in a nut shell. Does adding longer daylight in winter months to promote laying also inhibit a proper molt? I havent had chickens long enough to have gone thru a full blown molt with them yet. Just curious.

Winter beginning with winter solstice (shortest day of year) is start of the increasing in day length again for the following 6 months. Generally, adult birds have completed molt by the winter solstice or are growing in the last of the replacement feathers. Addition of supplemental light at that time does not inhibit the regrowth process.

I'm loving this site! I'm learning so much! Thanks for the great info! I'm sure it will help me. I'm a chronic worrier for my animals since my kids left the nest...

Thanks for the reply Centrarchid. Ok so perhaps not literal winter months. Prolonging light in Fall and into winter. This isnt anything I need to contend with for awhile. Just something I pondered as I was reading thru the thread. I would think a drawback for lengthening the light for eggs could be delaying or inhibiting a proper molt. Yes, no?

Back
Top Bottom