For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
New Chicken mom question. My girls were hatched late Feb/ early March 2016. Some of my girls are molting, some aren't. Here's the silly thing, my molting girls are the only ones still laying eggs for me.

They're going through a light molt so they've just lost they under fluff as of right now. Will they start laying again in the spring or could they start laying sooner then that?

Hi,
Put the birds on Naturewise Fetaher Fixer by Nutrena :

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/products/poultry/naturewise-poultry/feather-fixer/index.htm
( for birds over 16 weeks old),.
It helps them grow out the most lovely new feathers! I used it on the advice of other BYCer's) for the last molt my Light Sussex had. Wow what a success! I'm a believer. It also helps them to the point they may still lay thru their molt. Tho that doesn't seem to be a problem with your girls.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi,
Put the birds on Naturewise Fetaher Fixer by Nutrena :

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/products/poultry/naturewise-poultry/feather-fixer/index.htm
( for birds over 16 weeks old),.
It helps them grow out the most lovely new feathers! I used it on the advice of other BYCer's) for the last molt my Light Sussex had. Wow what a success! I'm a believer. It also helps them to the point they may still lay thru their molt. Tho that doesn't seem to be a problem with your girls.
Best,
Karen
Do you not think that has rather high calcium(Min. 3.25% - Max. 3.75%) for a bird that is not laying?

How long it takes to grow in feathers largely depends on how much protein a hen consumes in a day. Feathers are mostly protein. A higher protein feed helps speed things along.
As others have said, it depends on their protein.

Question about molt. When my chickens do go into molt, can I add in with their feed some of my leftover turkey starter for protein?
Yes, I have mixed in turkey starter over several years in winter. The higher protein helps them when they are molting.

New Chicken mom question. My girls were hatched late Feb/ early March 2016. Some of my girls are molting, some aren't. Here's the silly thing, my molting girls are the only ones still laying eggs for me.

They're going through a light molt so they've just lost they under fluff as of right now. Will they start laying again in the spring or could they start laying sooner then that?
Probably a minor molt. When the days start getting longer again, the production will start increasing.

My girls have been molting since thanksgiving. I've got the on a 20% protein feed and their feathers are mostly back in but now it is cold, even for North Texas. I have not had a single egg and I have 4 or 5 that are of laying age. How long does it take for them to complete a molt and should i not expect any eggs at all till spring? Last winter my girls didn't really molt and I had eggs year round, if not as many.

Not sure if they are just free-loading or if something is getting the eggs. I've put a game camera on the coop door and did not see anything beside chickens but I can't imagine not getting ANY eggs for this period of time. Is this normal for a molt? It is not nearly as heavy as the pics in this thread either.

Thanks for any feedback.

My girls have been molting since thanksgiving. I've got the on a 20% protein feed and their feathers are mostly back in but now it is cold, even for North Texas. I have not had a single egg and I have 4 or 5 that are of laying age. How long does it take for them to complete a molt and should i not expect any eggs at all till spring? Last winter my girls didn't really molt and I had eggs year round, if not as many.

Not sure if they are just free-loading or if something is getting the eggs. I've put a game camera on the coop door and did not see anything beside chickens but I can't imagine not getting ANY eggs for this period of time. Is this normal for a molt? It is not nearly as heavy as the pics in this thread either.

Thanks for any feedback.
Molting takes a lot out of them and it can take a few weeks for them to get back into laying condition. Recovery from molt can take a few weeks. Some don't lay till spring is on the way, others lay as soon as they are recovered from molting.

Thanks, I just wanted reassurance so I didn't worry something else was wrong. I have 13 hens and I'm buying eggs, it would be embarrassing if anyone at the market knew. ;)

Thanks for any feedback.
It's normal. After their feathers are back in, they have to get their weight back up. Soon, the days will be getting longer again, and that will help them start back up. I feel your pain, I'm buying eggs too.

That's why I always raise a few pullets each spring, so that I at least have some eggs while everybody else is molting.
Yep. Only the critter got most of my pullets. I lost 15 in one day in September to what I believe is a weasel. (another died a day later from the attack) Then it came back a couple of weeks ago, and I've lost 6 more. I'm trying to trap it, but so far, no luck. It's really ticking me off. I have 2 pullets left and some older hens. Except for 1 hen, my barnevelder flock is gone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom