FOUND Peahen peafowl peacock West Chicago Illinois

MnKHarden

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
Western 'burbs of Chicago, Illinois
My Coop
My Coop

This peahen showed up at my house yesterday. I did try to catch her so I could put her in a coop until the owner could be located but I was unsuccessful. She has been visiting the houses on my street. Please email me at [email protected] for location

That is a Cameo peacock, if you have a garage with a door and no other openings you can leave the door up a couple feet and throw down some type of seed like corn, sunflower seeds or millet in a trail leading farther into the garage , when it gets hungry it will go in then you can shut the door, make sure if you are using an electric garage door opener you have a few folks blocking the peacocks exit , cause when the motor from the door starts up he is gonna spook.

Thank you for trying to find his home most folks love their Peas very much.

What is the giveaway on being a male?

Look at the juvenile train feathers growing in on the first picture. I've never had a hen of any color with stripes that obvious on train feathers. Hens will have a little striping when very young but as they grow the stripes disappear and the most you have is a speckled looking train feather. Now as Zaz said pictures can fool you and so can young birds sometimes, but I see no Scallop looking feathers on the breast (the ones with a lighter edge) and with those striped train feathers I'd be fairly comfortable making a small wager on this being a boy!
wink.png

Juvenile Male

Hen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom