Fox Field Farm Flock

Pics

GitaBooks

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2015
USA
Just thought I would show of some of my birdies. I love them, most of them have names and all of them have personalities. We're going to have to get rid of a number of them before the winter, which is hard, but we have over 60 and we just don't have the money or room to feed that many without any forage available.

Thanks for looking at my flock!

Wild Thing, a McMurray hen, she has beautiful patterning on her feathers.

The trio, Adrian the red rooster, Enterprise the Easter Egger mix, and Precious their little sibling silkie. The trio are from our own flock but had a difficult hatch when I removed them from their mother so she would adopt some other chicks. They are thriving now, however.

From left to right, Vick (silver penciled rock), Shere Khan (partridge rock), and Blue (columbian wyandotte)

Liberty, who is in the molt and lost her tail because of that. She is a plymouth rock and one of my oldest hens in the flock. The other hen in the picture is young Andi, a black Andalusian

My sebright trio, so full of personality and already willing to try to fight with adult roosters. Two are boys, Spock and Linneaus, and the girl is Diamond (she has a slight crooked beak and we might not use her for breeding). Spock is the leader of the trio and already crowing. They already leave their mother's side and go off on their own, thinking so very highly of themselves.
smile.png

Dove, one of my "Dalmatian" mixes. She is a beautiful girl, glowing white with just one lavender spot on her wing.

My Speckled Sussex, Captain, who is just getting her tipped feathers finally. She is nearing laying age, but still just a curious young pullet

Princess with one of her newest silkie chick (one with the crest) and an older one from another hens batch (without crest). Crested chick is Possibility and the other is Tad.

Blue's crooked beak. She is a healthy girl though, I love her

Azul (Ozzie) my blue silkie who is a sweet-roo towards other silkies but bullied by other chickens

Captain again

Dastan, one of my "Dalmatians" thinking highly of himself

Eowyn, a mix hen that may have New Hampshire or may have Buff Orpington in her

Nascar, our Brown Leghorn that will run all around the yard like a crazy chicken, in all sorts of crazy circles when worried

My flock out foraging around our barns

Ruby (formerly Rudy) one of our Dalmatian mixes

Chance, my black cochin, with my molting Barred Rock rooster (Dominator)

Beauty, the sebright, with her son that is two times her size, Buddy

Scarlet, a Blue-laced Red Wyandotte

Susie (Black-eyed Susan) one of my "pure" Dalmatians and one of the four original dalmatians ever created

Long-legs, my silver-laced Cochin rooster, with green shine on his wings and a tail yet to grow in yet

Dodie (after the author of 101 Dalmatians) one of my Dalmatians with a single comb instead of the typical rose/walnut

Our newly cleaned roost room as the chickens make their way in

One of my Red Stars

Eagle (our EE) had a daughter with a Buff Orpington. Her name is Baby Cake's and she is a pretty girl

Leghorn mix hen (I sort of forget her name)

Acorn, my sweet little OEGB (Silver duckwing) who lost his comb to frost-bite

Two of my four OEGB/Sebright mixes: Dusk is the oldest, the boss of the group. The others are Dawn, Twilight and Eve

Eowyen with the Dalmatian mixes

Yeah, I'm a nerd all the way too.
thumbsup.gif

We use to have a Canary (as in White Canary) and Snart also. And just for a little bit of Lord of the Rings we had a "My Precious".

So, I found a home for the 25 chicks that were living upstairs in my room, and was just ready to turn off the incubator with the dead eggs in it (I even opened them to see that they were dead) when a couple of the opened eggs proved to be alive. One, Zero, is hatched and doing well and the other, Tanner, is working on hatching.

Here are the chicks before they went to their new home. Vlad, Arriette, Speedy, Delhi, Mutter, Landon, Alley, Hood, Noir III, Tyke, Lefty, Fluffer-nutter, Arizona, Taiwan, CC, Ringo, Callie, Stitch, Lilo, Parsley, Turner, Paige, Champ, Bradley and Sika.

You can see here that some of them were older then the others (by the amount of feathering on their wings).

Here is Susie with her chicks, before she got moved into a larger pen.

This is Possibility with her eight babies. She has Tide, Beau, Sapphire, Resa, Mumbles, Grand Slam, Velvet and Midus.

Midus was a last add in from the brooder, as my Mom liked her a lot because we had held her while she was strengthening up after hatching. She is a Dalmatian chick, with a black spot between her shoulder-blades.

Here are two of Princess's chicks, Nestor and Camp.

And her with her last chick, Spartacus.

Scarlet enjoyed letting her chicks have their first dust-bath today. Her chicks are Sibs, Tiger and Pool.

Tiger is the one to the right. The other is Pool.

Dodie with Koriand'ar, Irons and Ivory, her three bantam chicks.

Goldie's two chicks, Starfire and Li'l Fannie.

A not very good picture of Mrs. Potter with Finn and Wally. Finn has the grey skin and is smaller.

Wally has a black spot on his shoulder.

Eve with her 11.

My teen birds, Roshashannah (turns out she is a girl), and Buttercream.

Wild Thing with Izzie, Gardener, and Rowan. The fourth chick in the picture belongs to Mrs. Potter.

Susie with four of her five chicks. She lost Black Pearl (poor guy) but the rest are healthy and doing well. Her chicks are Rivera, Blue Beetle, Cleo, Iris and Nocturne.

Rory, the teen rooster, with the two bantam tweens Sparrow and Ori. Both of them are dudes, but the littlest of their trio, Honey, is hopefully a girl. Ori seems to be Possibility's biological son.

Rory with Honey, the smallest of the tween trio.

Sight, not sure if he/she is a boy or a girl, but he sure acted like a dude a few weeks ago. However, his comb hasn't gotten much bigger.

X, Nat, and Sandy take the front with Spock, the sebright rooster, in the back.

Rip (the pullet) and X

Agent, my black rooster with some red leakage. He is a handsome boy, he might be my keeper instead of Rory, but I haven't chosen which yet. I want some fun colors from these roosters, and a roo that isn't aggressive either.

Zero, my new chick, which got to join Dusty's foursome outside. Dusty's other four chicks all look the same and are Sage, Rosemary, Clovis, and Tyme. Hopefully Tanner can joint hem as well.

Some pictures of the flock. : )

Spartacus the Buff Brahma mix hen

The flock searching for food

Eve's baby girl, Dark Waltz

Pool

Dominator

X

Rain showing off for Possibility

Enterprise showing off her pretty colors

The flock coming through the gate for some food.

Starfire showing off his colors

Gorgeous lavander colored mix-breed chick named Nastalgia

Mumbles and Sapphire

Storm Cloud is so gorgeous! Blue outline on a lemon body with a black head, like the sun around a storm cloud.

Mumbles and Storm Cloud with some Dalmatian mixes.

Rivera or Kord (hard to tell the brothers apart)

I need some updated photos of my little ones, as Celest and Reeka are doing well. They are feathering out early because of the cold and growing fast. I even let them out into the larger broody-hen run. My only worry is if they get separated from their mother (which happens fairly often in such a large barn) then they will freeze, so until they are fully feathered out they spend a lot of their time in the broody pen where they have food, water, and their mother all close by.

The egg in the incubator, which I thought was dead, hatched! Little Bugaby (or Bug-A-Bee), another dalmatian. Not sure if its a boy or a girl yet, but for now I just call him "he".

Anyways, this little guy was far too small to brave the cold weather so his mother, Princess, was moved into the basement in a crate after Bugaby bonded to her (took only 2 hours or so, as Princess was getting impatient for her eggs to hatch). She loves him and was doing well, but a few days after hatching Bugaby managed to slip out of a hole in his crate and get separated from her. I found him nearly frozen to death, lifeless on the ground. When I picked him up he chirped, but couldn't move or open his eyes, so I rushed him upstairs to the fireplace and held him close to it, cupped in my hands, breathing warm air on him. I dipped his feet in warm water, and it only took about 10-20 minutes for him to be able to stand again.
I brought Bugaby back down to his eager, stressed mother and slipped him under her. He chirped the sickie chirp for a little while, but she kept him warm. He continues to do well, but I'm thinking the poor guy had some sort of breakdown because now he gives the scared chirp when his mother is a mere inches away. If she calls him for food he freaks out and screams for her, all the while eating happily. When he snuggles under her and talks non-stop in a stressed manner. Physically he is fine, so it must just be he has a psychological issues. It must be an only-child sort of issue.
roll.png

Baby season time!! Four chicks so far, all doing well. My broody hens are/were Shayera, Mumbles, Leopold, Craigen, Nastalgia, Key, and Goldie. However, Shayera and Mumbles broke up. I never found Mumbles' nest, but Shayera's eggs were still alive so I put them in an incubator and her babies ended up going to Goldie and Key. Key also hatched one of her own eggs, the rest were sloshing and very rotten, probably an old nest as it was hidden in the rafters. Craigen is on a nest of 6 in a hidden room so none of the other hens are bothering her. Leopold is in the main chicken room, nesting on the ground, so we'll see how long she lasts. Nastalgia is in the shed in the rafters, like Key was, but I haven't checked her eggs yet because I don't want to scare her away.

This is Luminosity (aka Lulu) Goldie's first chick.

Goldie also except, a day or so later, a second baby, April's Enigma.

Two chicks that I haven't downloaded the pictures for yet are Whisper (Key's tiny little white baby that hatched last night) and Harmony, the beautiful black and white baby that is also Key's and her first baby ever. She is a first time mother, and Nastalgia, Leopold and Craigen will all be first-timers as well. Shayera and Mumbles would have been, but Mumbles' eggs I think might have broken, as she had broken eggs on her belly more than once and I think she must have been on an old nest in the shed rafters.

Just a quick update for the autumn. We are trying to get down to around 40 chickens by winter, since they cost much more to feed when they can't forage.

Here is Precious, getting much older, she loves to follow me around and has learned to follow her full-sized "siblings" up into the rafters of the shed where they live.

Nascar has gotten her floppy comb now, just in a few days time, and hopefully will begin laying any time now. She's a Brown Leghorn.

Flo, the naked neck rooster, with his adopted daughter (hopefully not son
smile.png
) Possibility

Three of my "twilight" bantams, asking for treats at the porch

Our new puppy, an Aussie-doodle (Australian x Poodle). His name is Epsilon, but we call him Oopsie

Bubs, the teen rooster I decided to keep. He's a standard Buff Brahma and very handsome

Yosemite, playing on a piece of old carpet. She's a hatchery quality white giant

This is Autumn, my Easter Egger mix chick that is hatching today. I gave her/him a helping hand to get fresh air, since the egg was dirty and smelled from the mother pooping on it. Hopefully she will hatch on her own soon.

This is Princess with a chick that began hatching on Halloween, Autumn's sister, Breeze.

Back
Top Bottom