Free chick from McMurray

Not sure what one of mine is the Free Rare Exotic as I ordered the Ornamental Layers collection,,, so they are all rare and exotic :p :) perhaps maybe the White Laced Red Cornish as there is only one of those in the box,, LOL,,, not even sure if it is a hen or rooster yet

I've never ordered from McMurray before (usually Ideal/Privett/Feed store....so, this "free exotic chick" business is intriguing. Is it standard protocol get one with every order? Or do you have to have ordered certain numbers or breeds? Definitely will order next year and also hint I like packing peanuts. lol

Any one to guess this little nugget. I'm new to chickens and can even begin to guess. He/she arrived with a mixed breed order of:
Wyandotte
Cochin (blue,black & partidge)
Red star
Light brahmas
Dark brahmas
Araucana
Buttercups
Faverolles
RIR
(my mil and I ordered together. 8 are mine and she got 12-not sure who's taking this question mark)

Nugget is not "fluffy" as the others (but that could be because of all the "fluffy" birds I ordered :p) and considerably smaller. Tiney tiny.
Ready? Set? Go!

Definitly an Egyption Fayoumi as others have mentioned... I breed these and they have the very distinctive "red" head on a chipmunk body

Seems we also got a little chipmunk with eyeliner this morning.. There does seems to be a bit of speckling in the wings though. Any thoughts?
The other is a Red Laced White Cornish.

hmm, hard to say,, but since it looks smaller in the last pic next to the the WL Red Cornish you have there (which tend to be tiny chicks compared to the heavyweights they grow into),, and knowing Murreys lineup,, I would say either,,, BB Red Game, Phoenix, (Murrey doesn't distinguish between the different Phoenix breeds) or quite possibly a Silver Leghorn
on the other hand in the first few pics it looks bigger than the other chick in which case I would place my money on a Silver Penciled Rock

So not so patiently waiting on my chicks and just wondering how many have had the post office call on a Sunday to come in and pick up chicks? Unfortunately it's unseasonably cold here in upstate NY and I know they left St Paul yesterday am. I'm trying to stay busy......BUT I WANT MY CHICKS!!!

15 bantam Cochins! At the moment I have 6 standard Cochins and one lonely little Cochin bantam hen. I'm hopeful she'll enjoy having some friends her own size! Oh and 2 standards in the brooder and 9 more in the bator due to hatch tomorrow. Between the bator and this order today is driving me crazy! My house is spotless, the coop is spotless....maybe I can find some laundry to do.....

Ha! Another crazy cochin person! lol I have standards (a partridge cockerel, blue cockerel, 6 asstd pullets, 4 mottled bantams, and 2 silver-penciled bantams). I'm SO smitten with cochins. Have been since I had my first flock years ago (just started up again this year). The silver-penciled chicks are super friendly and already asked to be picked up. lol My old blue cochin girls (Thelma and Louise) used to sit on my chair with me and tell me about their days every day after work. I sure hope these new ones will do the same. :) I would crack up when Thelma went broody and would "buzz" around the run like a spastic airplane, all puffed up. lol

Hang in there! They'll be here before you know it. Please let us know what you get and what your surprise chick looks like! :)

Oh I can't wait! Yah I always tell people I'm a Cochin snob! It's gotten to the point that when I see birds without feathers on their feet it kind of grosses me out! Lol. Maybe my rare chick will turn me on to another breed though..... The possibilities have me all a twitter:)

Back
Top Bottom