Free Chicken Apron/Saddle Pattern

I got some flannel material with little owls on it. My rooster has been molesting our poor hen. We've got to get more girls for him. We only have the 2 of them because we're new to this. So now that they're 8-9 months old and seeing what he does to her being the only girl, we're in desperate need to get more girls. But in the mean time I have got to get her a hen saddle/apron made asap. She has a bald spot on her back, from what I've been reading, due to his treading on her back. Is there anything special I need to do to the saddle/apron to protect her back more? And will this pattern work for that? Any suggestions from any "old timers"? Any and all advice greatly appreciated
263a.png
1f44c-1f3fc.png
Also, how do you attach the elastic? What's the best way? She is a Red Ranger. TIA

I got some flannel material with little owls on it. My rooster has been molesting our poor hen. We've got to get more girls for him. We only have the 2 of them because we're new to this. So now that they're 8-9 months old and seeing what he does to her being the only girl, we're in desperate need to get more girls. But in the mean time I have got to get her a hen saddle/apron made asap. She has a bald spot on her back, from what I've been reading, due to his treading on her back. Is there anything special I need to do to the saddle/apron to protect her back more? And will this pattern work for that? Any suggestions from any "old timers"? Any and all advice greatly appreciated
263a.png
1f44c-1f3fc.png
Also, how do you attach the elastic? What's the best way? She is a Red Ranger. TIA

Lots of info on this thread. You just need to read back a ways. Patterns, no sew methods. You name it.

I have made a saddle something similar to this one. However instead of stitching a band, I just took my polar fleece and cut holes for the wings to go in. No sewing project. Worked great and chickens didn't mind wearing them.
I made one of these out of fleece but was scared to hurt my girl's wings trying to get in on her. any tricks to get the wings in the holes easily?

Last edited:
Looks like another of my girls needs a saddle too. I need another fun saying to embroider on it. My SO thinks I am nuts but why not have fun if I already have the embroidery machine? Any ideas?

I made one for Joyce who is molting in this Chicago 0 weather. But she took it off. How do I keep it on her. She was really looking raggedy and thin.

I made it from an old sweater. And then it began to rain. Could that be why she rejected it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Janny

I made one of these out of fleece but was scared to hurt my girl's wings trying to get in on her. any tricks to get the wings in the holes easily?

Make sure the wing holes are long enough or spacious enough. Start with that front joint of the wing getting the boney part of the wing through the loop then reach in the hole and pull the main wing feathers through carefully and collected in your hand. Here's a nice video. You tube has EVERYTHING!

I made one for Joyce who is molting in this Chicago 0 weather. But she took it off. How do I keep it on her. She was really looking raggedy and thin.

I made it from an old sweater. And then it began to rain. Could that be why she rejected it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Janny
Janny your wing holes on your saddle might be to big or the straps not cinched enough. You want some breathing room and watch constriction ...but you also want it so it will stay on. Sometimes they are just crafty too and can get it off. Fine tune your saddle a bit and see how it goes.

Looks like another of my girls needs a saddle too. I need another fun saying to embroider on it. My SO thinks I am nuts but why not have fun if I already have the embroidery machine? Any ideas?

-kimm- I wish I was witty enough to think of another saying for your saddle. Did you come up with anything? The first one is so darn clever ...I just don't know....

Last edited:
Maybe the sweater got heavy when wet, this may be why she rejected it. The fabric should be something that will not ravel or finished on the edges. I made a hen saddles from a pattern I found online. It was one of those square ones with the top sides cut out and elastic attached. I used cotton with interfacing. The saddle did not stay down on the sides and kept bunching up so I added sides that came down under the wings. I used a 10 inch piece of elastic that I put through the top where the fabric is folded and attached it to each side rather than using 2, 4 1/2 inch pieces. This way it was easier to pull the elastic and fit it over each wing one at a time. It is staying in place and so far no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom