Free Chicken Apron/Saddle Pattern

Has anyone made one with the flaps to cover the top of the wings? Another girl has become the favorite. Poor baby. They look like little flaps but I am unsure how to attach securely.

From the looks of it, it looks as though you hold the chicken in your lap, place it on top of the chicken then carefully slip the bands around the winds. I will soon have to check this out myself. I am having a feather picking problem.

From the looks of it, it looks as though you hold the chicken in your lap, place it on top of the chicken then carefully slip the bands around the winds. I will soon have to check this out myself. I am having a feather picking problem.
I put their saddles on them when they got to bed. It's easier in the coop when they're on the roost and a little bit sleepy. They're blind in the dark and don't put up as much of a tussle when I'm gently moving their wings through the elastic loops. I use a red LED headlamp, which helps me to see what I'm doing.

Here's a sample of the type of headlamp: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010UNC99G?psc=1

I am fixing to make some aprons for my girls and was wondering if two pieces of cotton fabric is enough or must it have something in the middle? Thanks

LaPoulet: for me I found that I needed a stiffer fabric to handle the rooster's treading. Otherwise the apron would just flip up and not work very well to protect.

So I did some canvas, and jean ones. Then I felted down wool sweaters and did a no sew version which I have loved the most. I need to make one for a little Lavender Ameracuana my rooster has over mated right now. Time to take care of her back before she's featherless back there.

Last edited:
Thank you Bogtown Chick. I live in SE Louisiana and it gets so hot here that I was worried about them having a heat stroke with the apron on. I have a couple without feathers already but I think I have a couple of bully hens pulling the feathers out. I bought some lightweight polyester batting made for a crib quilt. It is fairly thin but I am hoping thick enough to help. I guess if it isn't enough, I will have to make some denim ones. I bought some clover material for camouflage, LOL It was on sale at the store St. Patricks day.

I'm going to try and make some out of leather. I made cloth ones last year, but one of my hens got hers caught on some green briers and I thought a predator had gotten her, but I found her the next day when one of her sisters saw her and started an alarm call. She was so tangled up, I had to cut it off of her and her wings took months to go back where she normally carried them. I figure the leather will not be as likely to get caught in thorns or barbed wire. My oversexed rooster has been tearing their feathers off with his claws and now his spurs are well over an inch long and sharp. If he keeps on attacking my husband, I may not have to worry about him any more. I kind of wish I could put spikes on the leather ones to keep him off!

Back
Top Bottom