French frogs

I am going to try a Jersey Giant rooster this year. Hopefully he is as well behaved as his breed suggests.

Neat! Please keep us posted.

52"......
lau.gif

frow.gif

That's because I feel asleep....
thumbsup.gif

morning...... I'm just left the Drs office.... They hooked me up hopefully I'll get better now

fl.gif
Sure hope so, Phil.
hugs.gif

I have to do some running now. Y'all have a good day and I'll talk to you later
1f614.png

Hope all goes well with the running!
smile.png

This is jus hubbys last phone, some kinda throw back LG, with a 52" screen

My first ever broody hen hatched with me!

52"......:lau

Kidding aside its friken 5" tall. And 3 wide, I pulled a tape on it jus now :lau

:frow

Looks like it was a slow night at the frog...

That's because I feel asleep....:thumbsup
Morning everyone
morning...... I'm just left the Drs office.... They hooked me up hopefully I'll get better now

Good news

Hey Farmboy, Hey Miss Am
frow.gif

Just came in from culling my main rooster and one of the Valentine's boys. Need to look up how to process them and figure out what to do with them. I think I saved the paper Walnut or Turk shared a while ago - it's on my computer somewhere.

It sure is quiet out there. Jack crowed all.the.time. It will be interesting to see if Fife steps up as rooster with Jack gone. The old ladies still beat the heck out of him and I wonder if he will ever have the confidence to win them over. He's 10 months now and if he behaves himself he can stay for a while.

I think I have 3 more cockerels Legbar/Orloff I'll see if someone will take off my hands. They are so cute with their little mohawks and a really pretty pattern, where the ones I think are girls are more brown, I'll post pics later and see if the genetics folks have any input.
I have 4 I need to retire. Glad you got it done.

So here are the Orloff Legbar boys:

And here is one I think is a girl;

Here are two together (with an Orloff in the back)

Wondering if there is some kind of a sex linked pattern going on there.

I did notice! At first I thought it was a blue shovel ! I need a bag now!

Like the avitar Oz!
1f609.png

Hey Farmboy, Hey Miss Am :frow

Just came in from culling my main rooster and one of the Valentine's boys.  Need to look up how to process them and figure out what to do with them.  I think I saved the paper Walnut or Turk shared a while ago - it's on my computer somewhere.

It sure is quiet out there.  Jack crowed all.the.time.  It will be interesting to see if Fife steps up as rooster with Jack gone.  The old ladies still beat the heck out of him and I wonder if he will ever have the confidence to win them over. He's 10 months now and if he behaves himself he can stay for a while.

I think I have 3 more cockerels Legbar/Orloff I'll see if someone will take off my hands.  They are so cute with their little mohawks and a really pretty pattern, where the ones I think are girls are more brown,  I'll post pics later and see if the genetics folks have any input.

Oh my gosh Friday!! You've never processed a chicken?? NEITHER HAVE I! You say all is quiet now? Has Jack already been given the ax? Lol. You brave girl you! So I remember Nana in Oklahoma...head comes off, catch um(in that order), soak in hot water(can still remember the stench!) pluck and cut!! Good for you! You go and John Wayne it!
All kidding aside I think that's great
1f49b.png
1f49b.png
I'm gonna wait til the lights go out...oh guys..I just couldn't do it...unless I had too. Wanna know how it goes Friday. Oh! Can't forget Valentine boy...? What a sweet name...

Like the avitar Oz!
1f609.png

Oh my gosh Friday!! You've never processed a chicken?? NEITHER HAVE I! You say all is quiet now? Has Jack already been given the ax? Lol. You brave girl you! So I remember Nana in Oklahoma...head comes off, catch um(in that order), soak in hot water(can still remember the stench!) pluck and cut!! Good for you! You go and John Wayne it!
All kidding aside I think that's great
1f49b.png
1f49b.png
I'm gonna wait til the lights go out...oh guys..I just couldn't do it...unless I had too. Wanna know how it goes Friday. Oh! Can't forget Valentine boy...? What a sweet name...

LOL, I've kind of processed a few, and just culled a few others. Not nearly enough to be efficient at it, and am always looking for ways to process easier. Traffic cone and modified Kosher cut works for me, but I'm still not good at skinning and fairly horrible at gutting. (First time doing it today) At least I didn't cut the intestines. I think it would be too much work to pluck just one chicken, so I skin them.

Carcass is resting in the fridge under plastic wrap, will probably be enchiladas this weekend.

Oh, and all my chicks get temporary names until I decide who's staying. Valentine's Boys and Valentine's girls; Easter Boys and Easter Girls since they were both hatched on holidays.

I am going to try a Jersey Giant rooster this year. Hopefully he is as well behaved as his breed suggests.

What kind of hens do you have ?

Barr Rock and Easter Egger adults. Austroph and Leghorn chick's. I also have a few female Rainbow Dixie and Red Ranger chick's in this batch. I am hoping to get to the point that I can hatch most of my own meat birds next year. Course unless I can get a keepable rooster it is all mute. I had a beautiful Barr Rock but he kept going after my 1 year old, so he no longer exists.

LOL, I've kind of processed a few, and just culled a few others. Not nearly enough to be efficient at it, and am always looking for ways to process easier. Traffic cone and modified Kosher cut works for me, but I'm still not good at skinning and fairly horrible at gutting. (First time doing it today) At least I didn't cut the intestines. I think it would be too much work to pluck just one chicken, so I skin them.

Carcass is resting in the fridge under plastic wrap, will probably be enchiladas this weekend.

Oh, and all my chicks get temporary names until I decide who's staying. Valentine's Boys and Valentine's girls; Easter Boys and Easter Girls since they were both hatched on holidays.
Gutting is easier than a fish, everything is more sturdy. Hints: either remove the neck low at the chest first, or free up the trachea and esophagus from the neck skin and connective tissue before starting to eviscerate. Tie off if the crop isn't empty, otherwise the crop will empty. I prefer to leave my intended meals in a cage overnight with nothing but a little water before bedtime, and nothing in the morning.

Cut just through the skin around the vent, pull gently rearward a bit and free it up if needed, then tie it off.

Make a vertical cut just through the skin from the tip of the keelbone to the cut around the vent, or if skinning, you can do that now. Remove the wings at the elbows for easiest skinning.

Reach in until you are past the liver, which feels large and firm. Try to locate the crop, even further forward, and gently scoop it rearward. You want to be careful not to break the gall bladder, a lima bean sized organ on top of the liver. It's nasty.

You can stand the carcass neck upwards and let gravity help with evisceration. One the pile comes out, go back in and scrape the lungs off the ribs. Pull away any remaining bits, scrape out the adrenals along the backbone, rinse thoroughly and chill in ice water until chilled through.

Time spent making a clean job of evisceration is much better spent than in trying to clean up a mess.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
LOL, I've kind of processed a few, and just culled a few others.  Not nearly enough to be efficient at it, and am always looking for ways to process easier.  Traffic cone and modified Kosher cut works for me, but I'm still not good at skinning and fairly horrible at gutting. (First time doing it today) At least I didn't cut the intestines.  I think it would be too much work to pluck just one chicken, so I skin them.

Oh, and all my chicks get temporary names until I decide who's staying.  Valentine's Boys and Valentine's girls; Easter Boys and Easter Girls since they were both hatched on holidays.

That's cool! Atleast "Valentine's Boy" wasn't a true pet... I just couldn't get passed them looking at me..,with fear in their"sweet, gentle eye" of course unless they were meaner than chit!' Might make it easier!! Call it self defense! Lol. I can see the vision now from my neighbors view point. Pathetically hilarious!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom