French frogs

Still have black powder.....but here the deer are different than any where else. They actually migrate south into wintering grounds. So they may push out before black power opens. But I'm on a migration trail. If I hit it right it might be like a highway through there. If my shoulders weren't so bad I could still bow hunt till New Year's.
I solved that problem with a crossbow

I have a crossbow...but Michigan being like two separate states....if you live in the lower peninsula you can hunt with a crossbow in December. But if you live above the bridge you can't unless you are disabled. Which I am but I never bothered to get a permit because I always had my deer by now. It doesn't make any sense except no one lives up here and our rules are all made in Detroit. There are more hunters in one county down there than in the whole U.P.

Still have black powder.....but here the deer are different than any where else. They actually migrate south into wintering grounds. So they may push out before black power opens. But I'm on a migration trail. If I hit it right it might be like a highway through there. If my shoulders weren't so bad I could still bow hunt till New Year's.

I solved that problem with a crossbow

That's what I was going to suggest.
Just this year, we got an actual crossbow season, and anyone can hunt with one. Prior to this year, you had to have a doctors excuse to get a crossbow license, for being physically unable to pull a compound.

I have a crossbow...but Michigan being like two separate states....if you live in the lower peninsula you can hunt with a crossbow in December. But if you live above the bridge you can't unless you are disabled. Which I am but I never bothered to get a permit because I always had my deer by now. It doesn't make any sense except no one lives up here and our rules are all made in Detroit. There are more hunters in one county down there than in the whole U.P.

Doesn't stuff like that drive you crazy.

I had a Dr's excuse before michigan opened season to crossbow but didn't keep it up. I'm waiting to hear from the VA on my disability rating if it goes up from 90% to 100% I won't need a Dr excuse anymore.

You need to move down here to MD & hunt with me. Our bow season starts in September, ends in January, and anybody can use a crossbow now.

Ours starts 1 October....runs til 1 January. But it is split in two by rifle season. And for some reason which makes no sense to me they have that funny rule for the U.P. Our fishing rules are different too. Always more restrictive and that makes no sense either cuz we have way more fish up here. There are a lot of places up here that rival the Canadian experience.

Ours starts 1 October....runs til 1 January. But it is split in two by rifle season. And for some reason which makes no sense to me they have that funny rule for the U.P. Our fishing rules are different too. Always more restrictive and that makes no sense either cuz we have way more fish up here. There are a lot of places up here that rival the Canadian experience.
Oh, we have black powder & rifle interspersed too, but you can still use archery equipment throughout if you want; just have to go by the regs for the specific seasons...ie, during rifle season you still have to wear orange even if you're bowhunting.

I make out all the way around. My Senior license only costs $5. Have to buy archery & muzzleloader stamps & $6 per. If you're a landowner, which I am, hunting your own property, you don't even need a license.

Last edited:
Wow you do have it made....this year you can only but one tag. With that tag you can hunt one buck of any size. Or you can buy combo tag that allows you two bucks 6 points or larger.
Below the bridge you can shoot a doe with a bow up here you can't. That is a new rule because of serious losses by hard winters and wolves.

Back
Top Bottom