Frizzle thread

Pics

josh44

Songster
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
Post pics of your frizzles & if you can their smooth counter parts.

ALL BREEDS WELCOME, SEEING HOW FRIZZLES COME IN ALL BREEDS, SHAPES,& COLORS.

LETS TALK FRIZZLE CHICKENS.

COME ON BYC, LETS SEE THOSE FRIZZLES !!!
celebrate.gif

SIZZLES ARE MORE THAN WELCOME... FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT SIZZLE MEANS. IT'S A FRIZZLED SILKIE
old.gif

I AM TOLD IN FRIZZLE BREEDINGS,

FRIZZLE X FRIZZLE = UGLY CHICKS WITH NOT MANY FEATHERS, KIND OF LIKE GETTING RUNNED OVER WITH A LAWNMOWER
lau.gif

FRIZZLE X SMOOTH = 50% SMOOTH FEATHER & 50 % FRIZZLES.

Frizzles are recognized by both APA & ABA, I am told they are in a show class of their own.

All frizzles are to be judged, together no matter what breed. They should be breed to the breeds standards, depedning on the breed.

I HAVE READ & HAVE BEEN TOLD,

SQ FOWL NO MATTER WHAT BREEDS, BRED TO THEIR STANDARDS ARE PRICLESS.

THIS IS TRUE, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO ALL FRIZZLED BREEDS.

These are the first frizzles I have ever owned, & I guarentee they aren't the last... They are AWESOME !!!
yippiechickie.gif

I started out, not caring for frizzles, but they grew on me. Now I plan on hatching a bunch of them !!!!
welcome-byc.gif

HERE IS A PIC OF MY FRIZZLE GOLD LACED POLISH BANTAM PULLET, NEXT TO A SMOOTH GOLDEN POLISH HEN COUNTERPART...

GOING TO HATCH AS MANY FRIZZLES AS MY GIRLS/HENS WILL ALLOW THIS YR.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

12005_p3210570.jpg
12005_p3210557.jpg

12005_p3210573.jpg
12005_p3210617.jpg

PLEASE ALL FRIZZLE INPUT WILL BE WELCOMED HERE, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG ON THE INFO POSTED ABOVE ABOUT FRIZZLES.

POST FRIZZLE INFO, SUCH AS BREEDING TIPS,GENETICS.

THANKS,

Last edited:
For some reason the quote button is not working for me...anyways, you CAN breed two frizzled birds together. Assuming they are both heterozygous for the frizzle gene, about a quarter of the offspring will not receive the frizzled gene, about a quarter will inherit two copies and the remaining half will inherit one copy of the gene. Those with two copies may well have extra brittle feathers. These birds are properly called "curlies." Some curlies have decent plumage, but I believe a lot of that has to do with extra attention to conditioning and making sure they receive plenty of fats in their diets. Nevertheless, many curlies suffer from extremely brittle plumage that easily breaks off, and therefore they often look very naked. Frizzle is also associated with some health conditions that make having two copies of the gene undesirable. I would suggest reading up on the gene (from real, scientific resources, not word of mouth posts where you cannot properly evaluate the level of knowledge of the poster or their source of knowledge. Hutt is a good starting point, but more recent studies would certainly be appropriate.

That is correct, you should never cross two frizzles. Sizzles come in frizzled and smooth varieties, and you would breed your frizzle to a smooth, ideally. However, when most people are starting from scratch (like I did), they breed their frizzled birds back to their Silkies.
So, say you cross a frizzled Cochin hen and a Silkie rooster, the resulting offspring would be your first generation. You would take those offspring, and breed the pullets back to your Silkie rooster (if he has desirable traits that would compliment those pullets) or another Silkie rooster to improve their type (or the Sizzle cockerels to Silkie hens), those offspring would be your second generation, and so on and so on. As your breeding the frizzled birds to your Silkies, you'll get 4 feather types, frizzled Sizzles (frizzled hard feathers), smooth Sizzles (flat hard feathers), regular Silkies and frizzled Silkies (frizzled Silkie feathers). You'll separate the frizzles from the frizzles as you go, so they aren't breeding. The frizzles, smooths and regular Silkies can all be kept together though. A lot of folks get rid of the smooths as they breed, which is a mistake. They're very important, since you can't breed your frizzles together. Eventually, you can get to where your Sizzle pen contains just frizzled Sizzles and smooth Sizzles, and you won't need the Silkies to improve type anymore.

Whew, I hope that makes sense!

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures on how to turn a Frizzle into a Droople
wink.png

Because KiKi laid her first egg this week, she thought she would have a spa-day, you know, work on the tan, get a new do .. smooth out those frizzle feathers:

Before:

After:

Yep, that is the same chicken, amazing what a day at the spa can achieve!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom