Frostbite on baby chicks?

Pics

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I have four baby chicks that are maybe four weeks old. I’m unsure of their actual hatch date. They have had swollen feet with black spots on them for the past day and a half. I did have them outside, in negative weather with a hen, but brought them inside today. They were fine until this past weekend when it seemed like everyone was getting frost bite around here. I did add more ventilation to my broody coop and the hens were leaving the chicks alone for longer periods. Is this frostbite or something else? I have learned my lesson about letting hens hatch out in January.
3375C835-1A8C-4EED-960F-93A2B1720B05.jpeg
64426567-EC67-4B80-924E-B4733DA5D794.jpeg
45E616C3-15A2-49BF-9B88-5592E01C068C.jpeg

Looks like you're doing a wonderful job taking care of those tiny feet 💜 I am cheering for all of them, especially #2 being that it's going to be a larger bird. Hopefully I haven't mixed up the chicks. I sure hate this happened to them but it seems like they're in wonderful, caring, and loving hands. I'm cheering you on as well 😉

Looks like Little Foot will loose all of her toes. I’m looking into prosthetics for her. I already have a special needs flock, two chickens, so I have no problem keeping her. Even if she turns out to be a rooster. If her quality of life deteriorates I won’t let her suffer through it though. So far she is happy and eating. She has a full crop every time I check on her and even pecks at me when I handle her. She currently uses her wings and beak to get around. She is a fighter.

51119BA1-C154-4AD1-B59C-6630ED6B7343.jpeg
66CDF024-F3D6-4FC7-8F93-5DDA9062F07F.jpeg

Chick 2 I’m not so sure about. The blister popped on the bottom of his foot finally. He looks like he might lose the tips of some toes but maybe not as bad as I’m thinking. At least I hope not. He’s a heavier breed, part light Brahma, so he can’t handle having too many toes missing. Depending on how he gets along depends on if I cull him or not. I want to say as long as he is still fighting I will keep fighting but I have to take into consideration how large he is going to get. *sigh* We shall see I guess.
7FD9DA34-C26A-4918-98D3-A05EDAFC412E.jpeg
39427766-8DB4-4BB7-A2E3-171AB0A7FB5A.jpeg

I checked chick 3&4 yesterday, I haven’t been soaking their feet, and they have no signs of frostbite. They walk fine and eat fine. All the chicks eat and drink fine really.

Looks like you're doing a wonderful job taking care of those tiny feet 💜 I am cheering for all of them, especially #2 being that it's going to be a larger bird. Hopefully I haven't mixed up the chicks. I sure hate this happened to them but it seems like they're in wonderful, caring, and loving hands. I'm cheering you on as well 😉
Chick 2 is a going to be heavier bird. Chick 3 will be too actually. They’re both light Brahma mixes. I think they’re both going to be boys too.
The toes are looking better. Keep us posted on their progress, and good job.
Do you think chick 3 still needs soaking? He has been losing toenails but I think that’s due to the frostbite.

Thank you both for your encouragement and kind words. I really appreciate it. Since I really had no idea what I was doing.

Back
Top Bottom