Frostbite on baby chicks?

I haven’t been wrapping them. Her stumps are so very tiny and thin when I tried to wrap them they came off almost instantly. She has pencil thin legs. Any suggestions on how to keep the wrappings on? Or how to wrap her stumps in general?
I struggle with keeping padding/wrapping on too. Sometimes i get it done quickly and perfectly while other times it takes longer. And sometimes when i Thought i got it right, i go outside to find Matilda has kicked a wrap off and is hobbling around barefoot. Recently I've needed to add more padding for better comfort and mobility, & that has resulted in needing to figure out how to secure the now weightier padding all over again. It's an ongoing learning process for sure.

I completely understand your difficulty in securing wraps to Little Foot's tiny shanks. I was going to refer to the recent winning article written by @TheOddOneOut , even before I saw she replied to you here. I picked up a valuable tip in her article, which is to use cloth tape to better secure vetwrap to the shank. She mentioned hockey tape as an option, but I've been using paper tape i bought at Walmart. It is very light weight but adheres to both vetwrap and shanks. I will switch to cloth tape after I use up all the paper tape, but paper tape may be a permanent solution for Little Foot. Even though a foot with toes is much easier to wrap than a footless shank, the tape tip was very helpful. @TheOddOneOut , do you have any intuitive thoughts on securing wraps to a chicken leg with no feet?

Since Little Foot's shanks are so short and tiny, you will need to cut wrapping strips very thin. I use 3 inch vetwrap from the feedstore that I cut lengthwise to make 1 1/2" strips, but have thought 1 inch strips would be even better. Of course even that is much too wide for Little Foot. I saw that Walmart has 1 inch coban wrapping. If you cut that size into two lengths, maybe 1/2 strips would stay on? It's possible she may even require 1/3" or 1/4" strips. For now you could a put a small bandaid over her stumps to offer more padding under the wraps. Anything will help, since she is reluctant to walk on her stumps.

I struggle with keeping padding/wrapping on too. Sometimes i get it done quickly and perfectly while other times it takes longer. And sometimes when i Thought i got it right, i go outside to find Matilda has kicked a wrap off and is hobbling around barefoot. Recently I've needed to add more padding for better comfort and mobility, & that has resulted in needing to figure out how to secure the now weightier padding all over again. It's an ongoing learning process for sure.

I completely understand your difficulty in securing wraps to Little Foot's tiny shanks. I was going to refer to the recent winning article written by @TheOddOneOut , even before I saw she replied to you here. I picked up a valuable tip in her article, which is to use cloth tape to better secure vetwrap to the shank. She mentioned hockey tape as an option, but I've been using paper tape i bought at Walmart. It is very light weight but adheres to both vetwrap and shanks. I will switch to cloth tape after I use up all the paper tape, but paper tape may be a permanent solution for Little Foot. Even though a foot with toes is much easier to wrap than a footless shank, the tape tip was very helpful. @TheOddOneOut , do you have any intuitive thoughts on securing wraps to a chicken leg with no feet?

Since Little Foot's shanks are so short and tiny, you will need to cut wrapping strips very thin. I use 3 inch vetwrap from the feedstore that I cut lengthwise to make 1 1/2" strips, but have thought 1 inch strips would be even better. Of course even that is much too wide for Little Foot. I saw that Walmart has 1 inch coban wrapping. If you cut that size into two lengths, maybe 1/2 strips would stay on? It's possible she may even require 1/3" or 1/4" strips. For now you could a put a small bandaid over her stumps to offer more padding under the wraps. Anything will help, since she is reluctant to walk on her stumps.
While I have found tape very useful, I can’t say I’ve ever wrapped teeny tiny chick stumps. Perhaps tape and the top and the bottom would work? Secure anything that slides?

While I have found tape very useful, I can’t say I’ve ever wrapped teeny tiny chick stumps. Perhaps tape and the top and the bottom would work? Secure anything that slides?
Since i read your article, I've I've been securing the top of vet wrap to shank with tape, then running a horizontal tape strip from top of shank to bottom, then back up to top of shank again. And adding a final strip of tape to anchor the second horizontal strip to the first vertical strip. (I hope that makes sense.) Little Foot's tiny legs definitely require the need to miniaturize all pads and wraps.

@Allsfairinloveandbugs thank you for the information. And explaining how you wrap Matilda’s stumps. I know I’ve had issues with tape sticking to vet wrap before and I never thought about using the paper tape. I think I might have some in the house already. I know I have some of the fabric tape. The stuff that looks like gauze but is really sticky. I’ll try wrapping Little Foots stumps tomorrow with what I have. So she’s more comfortable. Hopefully something will stick but not too much. She has feathered legs and I don’t want to rip her feathers out.

An issue I noticed with Little Foots walking is one of her legs sticks out in front of her. Even when she’s sitting. When she tries to walk on it it slides out from under her. Even when she’s not on a slippery surface. All of her joints work but it’s like she can’t control where the leg is going. I’m thinking a chair might help her…? Either a wheel chair or a chick chair.

These are photos of her standing on the leg that got hurt. You can see her other leg just sticking out. She doesn’t put it down when moved forward to walk.
98D7ED48-8973-4FF8-975C-3B01058BB971.jpeg
619C6B42-1BBC-4E6C-BF33-59DD3DDE0C25.jpeg
27A0DA55-F1B3-40E1-BE57-27F6548C2C7C.jpeg
03DA6E14-4457-4C2F-A87C-B83B304FEF7C.jpeg

I will update on Little Foot since I haven’t in awhile. I figured out that her one leg was weaker than the other due to her sitting all the time. She wasn’t confident on her feet as they were falling off and just wanted to sit to keep warm. I indulged her instead of pushing her. I built her a wheel chair and now she spends a couple hours a day in it. The chair is much too big for her so she uses it like one of those child bouncy seats. Mostly it’s to get her standing up. It has worked out wonderfully. Her weaker leg is getting stronger and she’s walking more when she’s out of the chair. I’m still trying to fix the chair so her tiny six inch body will fit just right but for now this one works.
CF8A6C56-8C9B-4A2B-A226-3BD8E23FFDF4.jpeg

This is the first rendition of the fabric. I fixed it and it’s safety pinned on there now. We are also looking into prosthetics for her. I was informed by the owner of “Love A Chicken Diapers” on how to make my own so I’m going to try that. For anyone interested she has a video on her facebook page on how to do it.

First of all, wow she is beautiful. She looks like a little diva perched on her throne.:love

So glad you figured out the reason for her leg weakness. But it was good you let her stay off her stumps until they were well on their way to healing. A lot of your journey truly does require figuring out and finding solutions to problems as they arise. It's great to know Little Foot is doing well.

First of all, wow she is beautiful. She looks like a little diva perched on her throne.:love

So glad you figured out the reason for her leg weakness. But it was good you let her stay off her stumps until they were well on their way to healing. A lot of your journey truly does require figuring out and finding solutions to problems as they arise. It's great to know Little Foot is doing well.
She is a little diva. Sassy little girl. She has jumped out of that chair more times than I can count but I take that as a good sign. She loves being pet but only on her terms. Thank you for reassuring me that letting her rest in the beginning was okay. I felt awful knowing she had leg weakness because she didn’t use her legs enough. I felt like I could have pushed her more. Maybe done more for her so the weakness didn’t happen. But you are right. She needed to heal first.

Back
Top Bottom