Frostbite on baby chicks?

Hi @Smileybans . Yes you are correct; stop the soaks, leave stump unwrapped, but do keep healing stump medicated. The advice I just stated is the advice others gave me during my own hen's ordeal. Did you decide to snip the skin holding on to the dead foot?

I don't think anyone has answered your question as to why Little Foot's feet shake so much while you are treating them. I've had no answer myself, but thought of your question while I was treating a rooster for bumblefoot this past weekend. He's a nice guy, but I've never needed to handle him before now. He remained motionless the whole time while upside down in my lap, as I dug out the plug, medicated and wrapped. Well, motionless except both feet trembled and shook non-stop! In my rooster's case, I think that was how he showed his stress. And probably the fear of further pain since his infected foot was already painful. If Little Foot is very calm and stoic except for the trembling feet, a similiar stress reaction may be occurring with her/him too.
I did snip the dead foot off. It bled so I wrapped her foot to prevent it breaking open when she walks around. I’ve left it wrapped up for 24 hours and plan on changing the bandage tomorrow morning. If it needs to be changed that is. If it continues to bleed I’m going to continue to wrap it. But the other leg I don’t wrap.

Your reason for her trembling makes sense. She is very calm when I’m handling her and hardly squirms at all. Really she just peeps for her mother.

Little Foot got her foot stuck in one of the plant stands this morning in the room I have her in. She wasn’t there last night when I checked on her but I don’t usually check on her until after I’m done with my other chicken chores. Her leg is swollen and irritated. I have soaked it in Epsom salts already. Anything else I can do for her and will she lose more of her leg?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Little Foot got her foot stuck in one of the plant stands this morning in the room I have her in. She wasn’t there last night when I checked on her but I don’t usually check on her until after I’m done with my other chicken chores. Her leg is swollen and irritated. I have soaked it in Epsom salts already. Anything else I can do for her and will she lose more of her leg? View attachment 3007172View attachment 3007173
I'm so sorry. Poor little one and poor you. Did her lower leg feel cold to the touch like circulation had been cut off while she was stuck? If not, I wouldn't think she'd lose more because of that. It does look painful and bruised, but unless circulation was interrupted to the lower part, this should heal. I can only imagine your heart just sinking whenever you found her. My heart goes out to you. Hopefully the experts will be on soon 💜

Last edited:
One other thing, are you able to feel the leg without causing extreme discomfort to feel for any broken bones? I imagine it's going to swell and the bruise may worsen, but you've done an amazing job caring for her and I'm sure it won't stop now. She's a very lucky chick to have such an awesome keeper 💜

So sorry that she had the accident with her leg. It may be bruised and irritated. I would keep applying the chlorhexidene. Wrapping them lightly for padding may be helpful until she is better. Eventually, her stumps will need to dry out and toughen a little. There are many things in the first aid aisle to possibly use on her stumps to pad. You might have a look at hydrogel or hydrocolloid dressings which can be trimmed to fit her stumps. I have never had to deal with the loss of feet, but many people experiment and post helpful suggestions.

I'm so sorry. Poor little one and poor you. Did her lower leg feel cold to the touch like circulation had been cut off while she was stuck? If not, I wouldn't think she'd lose more because of that. It does look painful and bruised, but unless circulation was interrupted to the lower part, this should heal. I can only imagine your heart just sinking whenever you found her. My heart goes out to you. Hopefully the experts will be on soon 💜
Thank you. Her swollen leg felt normal. Not cold and she puts some weight on it. Not a lot since I’m sure it’s painful but it doesn’t look or feel broken. I set her up in her own cage but she wanted nothing to do with it. She only wanted her mommy. 😞 I’m going to have to find a safe place for all of them to stay.

The swelling went down a bit overnight and looks like this now. I think it looks better but I’m not sure. It’s definitely bruised and painful for her. She does bear some weight on her foot but not a lot. If it was broken would it be more noticeable?

Attachments

• 4123CD83-2DD3-4D4E-B183-D50E7B3AA149.jpeg
    4123CD83-2DD3-4D4E-B183-D50E7B3AA149.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 1
  • B219DF66-5735-4855-BBDE-C0E7B60D9179.jpeg
    B219DF66-5735-4855-BBDE-C0E7B60D9179.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 1
The swelling went down a bit overnight and looks like this now. I think it looks better but I’m not sure. It’s definitely bruised and painful for her. She does bear some weight on her foot but not a lot. If it was broken would it be more noticeable?
I agree with you. From my screen, it looks better. Of course there are more experienced people here and I'd wait on their input, but I suspect it would look worse if there was a broken bone. Did you have a difficult time freeing her yesterday?

I agree with you. From my screen, it looks better. Of course there are more experienced people here and I'd wait on their input, but I suspect it would look worse if there was a broken bone. Did you have a difficult time freeing her yesterday?
No. She was stuck in the leg of a plant stand almost exactly like this one.
D91AB9FD-BF41-4800-BC5D-7D4626225FDA.jpeg
All I had to do was slide her up and she was released.

Back
Top Bottom