Frozen Corn-Perfect Chicken Treat for HOT Day!

Quote:
As I say to my kids "You're psycho...er...I mean...psychic, aren't you?"
lol.png

Yeah...I got the same thing...mine love it and it does cool them down. None have dropped dead from that, yet.

I'd suggest not feeding them rat poison, though. Frozen or otherwise. That doesn't go over as well.

wink.png

One flock owner I know takes canned corn (fresh when available) and freezes it in water in muffin tins then serves the girls "muffins" on a hot day.

I just gave my pullets frozen corn from muffin pans today! At first they just eyeballed it, then they dug in. I have 17 pullets & set out four 'muffins' of frozen corn. It's 100• here today, & I think they enjoyed the frozen corn.

I just gave my pullets frozen corn from muffin pans today! At first they just eyeballed it, then they dug in. I have 17 pullets & set out four 'muffins' of frozen corn. It's 100• here today, & I think they enjoyed the frozen corn.

We want to try this as soon as the temps climb back up!

Cold food slows digestion. I don't know if it is the same in birds but in mammals digestive enzymes work best at certain temperatures. Digestion is delayed while the food is brought up to temperature. Additionally, energy is spent warming the food so the body works harder digesting cold food vs. warm food. Interesting stuff but probably inconsequential if you're only feeding as a snack. What does concern me is that because birds hold fairly large quantities of food in their crops, the potential may exist for the tissue of the crop to become damaged by holding frozen food in it--frostbite but from the inside, out. It would be nice to hear if others more knowledgeable have anything to say about this.

your analysis is probably correct. The way to help chickens during hot weather is the same as humans: lots and lots of watermelon. Of course they are chickens, they will get rinds. Other fruits help too, but watermelon does have substances that lower body temp.

Back
Top Bottom