Frozen Corn-Perfect Chicken Treat for HOT Day!

SproutGirl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Missoula, Montana
A friend of mine suggested the perfect treat for chickens for these hot days of summer: frozen corn! I tried it, and my birds love it! I let it thaw just a little bit so that it's not ultra hard, and I hand-feed it to the poor panting birdies out in the shade of the lilac tree. They are so happy! Just like ice cream for chickens! I thought I'd pass this suggestion along to you for the summer. It's perfect for small flocks!

Oooooh frozen corn on the cob? It does sound delightful.

Well, until someone comes along and tells you it's a bad idea. Just wait, it'll happen. You'll see.
pop.gif

I feed it to them loose, but I'm sure on the cob would work too.

The way I understand it is that corn only raises chickens' body temperature when it is fed as a dried, hard grain. This is because it is very hard, and they must grind it up a lot in their crops. It is all of this grinding, and the full crop that raises their body temperature slightly. But, if you feed your chickens fresh, frozen, or unsalted canned corn, it will not raised their body temperature any more than any other fresh vegetable will. At least, this is what I have read in several books, and this is what my chicken farming friends have told me. So, if you want to keep your chickens warm on a cold night, give them some cracked corn before bed. But, don't give them cracked corn in the summer--give them fresh, frozen, or unsalted canned instead.

Last edited:
That is an interesting thing to do with the corn. I actually freeze fresh corn cut off the cob in single serving size bags in the fall. Sometimes I have left over (like now) and instead of tossing it on the compost, I think I'll give it slowly to the girls!
Oh, and corn that is fresh does not make heat, only dry corn bothers their systems in the summer.
Thanks for the suggestion!
wink.png

Quote:
Corn is cooked and frozen ? OR frozen raw ?

I know I give mine COLD COOKED leftover rice , NOW they run like crazy when they see me coming . LOL All lined up , its to cute .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom