Fuzzy's Farm

fuzzybutt love

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 30, 2011
Michigan

This is a thread dedicated to the goings-ons of my chicken world, and for my friends who have affected me in it.
3 years ago i started on a breeding project, determined that you really could breed for an affectionate chicken........ I started with my white duckwing EE rooster, who though naughty proved to be the smartest rooster i have thus far owned; I then found my lap girl, my lemon blue EE hen, who was more affectionate than any lap cat i've ever owned. Sadly they both passed away this year, but i have a son and daughter from their union and so far the daughter is as devoted to my lap as her momma was. I used a broody to hatch the eggs, and the broody doesn't even like me, and i didn't even start working with her until recently, so it is proven to me at least! :) So now the new saga starts.

*No personal disputes will be tolerated.
*There will be deliberations, taken in the spirit of learning from each other, if you see a debate do not take it in a personal manner or i will assume you have a personal issue, and that as stated above is not going to be tolerated.

Last edited:
Good morning! I finally made it through 99 posts from last night!
*wipes sweat from brow*

CFL... I do not wish to scare you off or make you upset.
I would like to hear more happy chicken and family stories from you!

I was up late reading quotes on FB and I got stuck on a reiki page... I loved it!
I think I am Buddhist at heart... Always have been.

"Life is an echo
What you send out
comes back.
What you sow
you reap.
What you give
you get.
What you see in others
Exists in you."

"If the only prayer you ever said was "thank you" that would suffice"- Meister Eckhart

"7 Steps To Happiness

Think less, feel more
Frown less, smile more
Talk less, listen more
Judge less, accept more
Watch less, do more
Complain less, appreciate more
Fear less, love more"
-Doe Zantamata

I feel more at peace after reading good quotes like these!

I took this from an old thread by silkiechicken... Just so you know who gets the credit for the pics...

0 hrs Note that with a bight enough light you can see though brown and green eggs easily. Shell thickness and egg size will impact image quality, so note these are bantam eggs.

This is a great example of a porous egg, not ideal for hatching.

28hrs Not much to see though the egg at this point. If you were to open the egg and look at it under a dissection microscope, you'd see that the head/neural fold has formed, and up to 4 pairs of somites. (Somites are mesodermal cells which migrate and give rise to tissues such as muscle, bone, and cartilage. Note the number on the egg, it serves as tracking and to know which side is "up" as I am hand turning 3x a day.

52 hrs If you look closely, you can see the start of the blood island in the middle of the egg. The heart is actively beating by this time and has started to turn; the heart starts out as a tube during development.

May be easier to see after photoshop, it's that darker ring on top of the yolk shadow

76 hrs At this point, limb buds have not only formed but are enlarging and the eye is beginning to become pigmented.

Some photo editing and you can really see the veins!

Schematic

100 hrs The limbs are now starting to look like limbs and the embryo starts to look like what a common person would say is an embryo.

Enhanced to see veins

Day5 On this day, the beak has just become viable and the chick's limb buds are no longer buds and instead will have identifiable digits! The black dot is the eye.

Edited to enhance veins

A day 3 or so quitter

Profile view and you can see the veins in my finger too.

Day6 It gets harder to take clear vein pics, as there is enough vascularization that it gets a bit washed out.

Enhanced image.

Embryo Movement Clip

Day 7 If you were to open them up, you'd see little specks where future feathers would emerge!

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10

Day 11

Video

Day 12

Day 13 If you opened them up, you'd see claws forming!

Day 14 It's so dark there is pretty much nothing really to see! Just a bit of space left

Day 15

Video

Day 16 You can see toes in the second one!

Toes video

Day 17

Day 18 Lock down!!!! Since there is plenty of space in the bator, I made little paper cups to put each egg in. Hopefully this will catch the majority of the hatch junk left over from popping out so clean up is a bit easier.

Only cuz you edited before we got the chance!
SOME of us see it ALL.....
wink.png

OK Clucky.... How many chicks are we talking here?
Brooder... Simple stupid indoor/garage brooder... You could even put it in a large coop, but by no means is this thing outdoor worthy for anything but a temporary run...

get 8-2x2x8's. Cut 3 of those at 4 foot lengths. Cut the other 3 at 2 foot lenghts. Make a box and a lid. Get a roll of chicken wire and 2- 2foot by 4 foot peices of luan... or how ever it is spelled. Very THIN wood... For the back and the bottom... Or you can get a a thinner peice of 4x8 ply, have it cut into 2 sections of 2x4, 2 sections of 2x2, and this will leave a 2x4 peice that you can do what ever with... Have it cut again into 1x4 section, and build a lip at the front... I used chicken wire on the lid so I could just set the brooder light right on top of the chicken wire... To keep the lid on, beleive it or not, I just used gorilla tape. Yup.

I use this thing in my garage for broodies too. When they are just about to hatch, I move mom and eggs to this, put the top on so mom doesn't decide to run back to the coop. I also move the whole nest box with mom and eggs in it. I use totes so easy job. After a few days, I turn it so it is open side facing out, mom can come and go then as she pleases. I gues you could make it outdoor worthy too... I have used it as a run for meat birds by facing the open side to the coop, chicken wire on the ground... made a nice safe shelter for them during the day, still got to peck at the ground. Since it is light as heck, easy to move around.

hand_pointing.gif
We just hatched out some chicks and one of them has something hanging from it's rear. It is like a small, stringy dark yellow type of thing. It is hanging from its rear and is stuck to the shell. The chick's body is completely free from the shell, but that stringy thing is still connected to it. He keeps trying to kick it off of him but the shell just keeps dragging along. What is it? Is it okay to remove it?
The inside of the shell has remnants of blood vessels and different embryonic sacs. Sometimes pieces of material get stuck to the chick when it hatches, and if not removed it can get dried on. If it is still attached to the shell you can remove the shell half of the attachment. The rest will eventually dry up and fall off.

Here ya go Clucky!

I posted in the breeds/show thread and didn't get any replies, so I'm hoping someone here might know. :)

I can't find the APA SOP for Jubilee Orpingtons. There's all kinds of info out there for all the other 'solid' colors, but nothing for Jubilees. Are they not an APA recognized variety of the Orpington breed?
sad.png
I may have to go with the Speckled Sussex (closest thing I can find to Jubilees) if they're not recognized, because I know the SS is. Figures...the second I find a gorgeous, gigantic, egg-laying and friendly breed they're not even recognized? I hope I'm missing something.
smile.png

Jubilees aren't a recognized Orpington variety. Only Black, Blue, Buff, and White are recognized. :( But all that really means is that you couldn't show them. Jubileee Orpingtons are expensive too. Greenfire Farms day old chicks are $99 a piece, unsexed. Jordan Farms have them for a little less, at $75 a piece.

Speckled Sussex are great though. They're easy to find too. I actually like them better than Orpingtons. They lay a lot. Are about as friendly (maybe just a little less so, but they weren't handled as much either). And don't go broody as often. :)

Back
Top Bottom