Gambel quail question

Daren Their Normal Range In The Wild Extends As Far As Parts Of Utah... Primarily A Low Desert Bird In Nature. They Should Be Able To Withstand Your Temperature Range But May Require Shelter From Wind During Winter Months And Perhaps A Covered Aviary? Being Low Desert Dwellers They Can Tolerate Cold, But Cold+ Wet ???

I Would Think That Should Do It.... Their Normal Home Range In The Wild Can Throw Some Pretty Low Temps At Them... They Should Be Good With A Lil Shelter From Wind And Wetness

Quote:
The wild Gambles Quail live out here in the low deserts of New Mexico where it regularly gets up in the low 100's. I am sure that is tough on them, but they do survive. That being said, it also gets pretty cold in the deserts, well below zero. So they can take a wide range of temps I am sure.
smile.png

Quote:
The wild Gambles Quail live out here in the low deserts of New Mexico where it regularly gets up in the low 100's. I am sure that is tough on them, but they do survive. That being said, it also gets pretty cold in the deserts, well below zero. So they can take a wide range of temps I am sure.
smile.png

yes but we here in Kansas get two an three weeks of -15º with wind chills of -30º
The heat I am not concerned with its the cold

Last edited:
Quote:
smile.png

yes but we here in Kansas get two an three weeks of -15º with wind chills of -30º
The heat I am not concerned with its the cold

I keep Bobwhites here in an aviary. Last year we had three nights of -23 degrees!!!! It never cracked -10 for 4 days. My Bobs weathered it out just fine, however I did run infrared heat lamps for 4 straight days and nights. My birds have an inside coop area out of the aviary that is completely sealed off from the outside. So you will need to give them some sort of shelter that has 4 walls, a full covered ceiling and a solid floor that you can use bedding on. You can use shavings or grass hay. Something they can snuggle into.

The most important things are, NO WIND and NO SNOW. None of it. They must be able to get COMPLETELY out of all wind and moisture. So I think your birds will be fine if you have proper shelter for them and if it does get below zero, you will need to add some heat lamps.

As far as I know, there was no big losses of the natural Gambles and Scaled Quail that live out there during our deep freeze, so yours should be fine.
smile.png

Last edited:
I was kina wondering the same thing but our winters are really mild compared to yours, my gambles have made it through the summer in fine shape they live under a leanto come winter I put tarps up at both ends

When I raise chicks, the heat lamp is always on, day and night. My chicks are usually in a roomy container. When the chicks are cold, they move close to the heat lamp. When they are hot, the move away to cool down.

Back
Top Bottom