Garage Sale Ideas, PLEASE!! =D

ducks4you

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
East Central Illinois
Okay, I posted this already on SSF, but it petered out.
sad.png

I'm counting on the 64K+ here to help me with ideas. Here's the scoop:

I am more than super-excited about an upcoming garage sale. To call it that is probably not correct, but here's what's happening. DH's office "Strip Mall" is planning a Labor Day Saturday garage sale. There 6/7 suites (businesses) participating. The mall is one-story, and we have 40 (non-metered) parking spaces in front, plus the "Bar" on the corner has 20 more, and the "Bar and Grill" next door has about 15 spots. (The Bar doesn't open until 8 PM, and the Bar and Grill is busiest M-F, and might also be partcipating.) Parking is ALWAYS a premium at garage sales here. Champaign/Urbana is one of the (twin)cities were everybody loves to buy at garage sales. In fact, in Urbana (where WE are), a lot of people will buy broken stuff because they:
(1) think they can fix it
(2) they are being "green" and responsible.
I am on CLOUD 9, when I think about getting things I don't want and don't need OUT of important storage places!!!
wee.gif
I DON'T even CARE if I get more than a penny/item--just the THOUGHT that I don't have to pay to have these things hauled away gets me singing!!!
ya.gif

I'm going to sell clothes, an old spinet, 2 modern nylon tents, some old pots and pans, and few (fugly) knick knacks that I've been given. My list has now grown to include:
--old bicycles
--dishes and glassware
--Christmas decorations
Do you have any ideas about what I should look for to get rid of? ANY ideas you have will help!!!
hugs.gif
I'm STILL too giddy about this to be rational!!
bun.gif
We live out in the country, and would NEVER have as many people come and buy our stuff out there.
woot.gif

Things that you haven't used in more than 2 years, might want to get rid of it. Look at broken things...if you're willing to fix it, keep it. if you think you'll probably forget it after you look at it, get rid of it.

I tend to keep things that have sentimental value...try and keep stuff that allows you to store things in it. Chests, furniture with compartments...

I am working on our second yard sale of the year. We had one in May, but I didn't get to go through things as well as I had hoped. I go through EVERYTHING! It truly is amazing what people will buy. I follow the mindset that if we haven't used it in a year, get rid of it! I also only keep decorating, knick-knacky items I REALLY love!

Things we have sold: crafting items, over purchased items like shampoo and cleaning supplies, candles that have already been burned but have some life left, wheels, tires, a broken propane heater, fishing line, a trash compactor, a box spring. These are just some of the odd ball things we put out.

I am of the mindset that I am purging our stuff and am hoping to make a little money doing so. I am not of the mindset to make a boatload of cash. IMO those people only end up hauling their stuff to Goodwill. In a community yard sale like you are describing, make sure you make your items stand out from the rest. Don't over price. Make sure everything is clean. Have a nice presentation. Group like items together so people don't have to dig through stuff. Be willing to dicker!!

We have NEVER had more than one car load left over and we have NEVER had our yard sale for more than one day. The secret to our success is the "Bag Sale". When things sort of slow down that first day, say around 2 pm, we start our bag sale. Anything you can cram in a plastic grocery sack for a dollar. We have never sold less than 40 bags AND we have very little left. If there is stuff you aren't willing to part with for less than a buck, put it aside and try to sell it on ebay or craigslist. I only say that because it is also amazing what people can cram into a bag! We had a guy wedge a boat anchor in there and he still put some clothes in as well!
lol.png

Hope your yard sale is a success!!

Last edited:
Books you don't reread, clothes your haven't worn in a few years, other objects you haven't used in a few years, movies you haven't watched in a few years, old CDs, cassettes, anything glass. With the new phobias about plastic and Chinese stuff, a lot of people (myself included) are switching kitchen stuff over to glass from plastic. Have fun!

Books for sure take up a lot of space.I am letting those g:hmmld excercise bike/treadmill.Sheets and blankets.Toys.Even soaps and things we got gifted that we never used.Craft stuff,plastic flowers,and holiday decorations.

I try craigs first,then yard sale,then donation for small stuff,and finally the curb for big stuff. Lol,funny to see people stop and scope out my actual garbage thinking they will find sometihng useful.Ofcourse there are some days they are lucky like the lady that got the newer merry-go-round for little kids or the baby strollers.

I have one room piled high with *to go* stuff,and I want that room empty by October.

Quote:
TOTALLY agree. I figure that I'm not paying to have it hauled away. I'm blessed, too, because we own 2 trucks, so we can even charge a flat rate to deliver anything big that we sell, but the buyer must load and unload at the destination.
Anything you can cram in a plastic grocery sack for a dollar.

THAT is a GREAT idea!!
woot.gif

Hope your yard sale is a success

Thanks!!
hugs.gif

michickenwrangler wrote:
Books you don't reread...movies you haven't watched in a few years, old CDs, cassettes, anything glass.

Sounds great--I'm adding to my list.
Mattemma wrote:
Toys.Even soaps and things we got gifted that we never used.Craft stuff,plastic flowers,and holiday decorations

BOY, I'll be happy to see THOSE go!!​

Back
Top Bottom