Gender guess: 6 weeks old Australorps UPDATED: 8, 9 and 10 weeks

I am now convinced that 2, 3 and 4 are all cockerels, I seem to see pointy saddle feathers in all of them, but it's really hard to take good pictures. I'm waiting until they become more evident to take new pictures, because they're really hard to see now, especially in the white one.

OMG, I find it difficult to believe - all 3 of them seem to have small, still a bit yellow combs. Only the 4th one might be a roo i think 🤔
I don't know if it'll make you feel aby better but I am now in the cockerel stage, too 😜

I just realized I don't really know how do saddle feathers look like in young cockerels. Of course I can recognize them in adult roosters, but I'm not sure here! Am I seeing ponty feathers coming in? I'm speaking about the one on the right, but if you see any other pointy feathers please let me know! They are 11.5 weeks old now.View attachment 3444341?View attachment 3444331 View attachment 3444337View attachment 3444351
Both of the black birds are cockerels. I can't see the white bird enough to make judgement on gender but the lack of dark shoulders on the blue one makes it very likely a pullet. Your birds have a bit different maturity rate than US Australorps which is throwing us off because that's what most repliers are most familiar with. Your white bird is not an Australorp due to yellow legs/skin. I am not familiar with Italian breeds enough to state an opinion on what a likely mix or breed would be but if this were a purebred in the US I would guess White Jersey Giant. I do not know of how common they are overseas. :)
92485B6D-90BC-4EE2-8FD7-646D6821DF7C.jpeg

Both of the black birds are cockerels. I can't see the white bird enough to make judgement on gender but the lack of dark shoulders on the blue one makes it very likely a pullet. Your birds have a bit different maturity rate than US Australorps which is throwing us off because that's what most repliers are most familiar with. Your white bird is not an Australorp due to yellow legs/skin. I am not familiar with Italian breeds enough to state an opinion on what a likely mix or breed would be but if this were a purebred in the US I would guess White Jersey Giant. I do not know of how common they are overseas. :)
View attachment 3448252
Wow. That's something i haven't thought about. So i'm in the same boat. My birds are European, too, not US. Oh my 🤦

Thank you very much! We discussed about the white one not being a pure Australorp in another thread that I opened precisely because I noticed the yellow legs, but pure breed wasn't important to me, while having 3 cockerels is not good news, but I'm pretty sure now!

View attachment 3448252
:goodpost:

Here we are, chicks will be 3 months old tomorrow and I am now sure they are 1 (blue) pullet and 3 (black and white) cockerels. They were tricky cockerels: little combs and not that red as you would expect, but all of them (except for the blue one) have pointy saddle feathers now. I'll post some other pictures when they will be adult!
Number 2:
P1170075.JPG

Number 3:
P1170111.JPG

Number 4:
P1170125.JPG

Group picture:
P1170134.JPG

Thank you all for playing with me!

Attachments

• P1170146.JPG
    P1170146.JPG
    865.4 KB · Views: 7
Here we are, chicks will be 3 months old tomorrow and I am now sure they are 1 (blue) pullet and 3 (black and white) cockerels. They were tricky cockerels: little combs and not that red as you would expect, but all of them (except for the blue one) have pointy saddle feathers now. I'll post some other pictures when they will be adult!
Number 2:
View attachment 3454913
Number 3:
View attachment 3454915
Number 4:
View attachment 3454918
Group picture:
View attachment 3454921
Thank you all for playing with me!
I'd say you're right on 1 pullet and 3 cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom