Genders on Buff Orpingtons

JacksFarmNGardn

Songster
8 Years
Dec 26, 2015
New York
Last night I got what was supposed to be 4 buff orp hens. One we were suspicious of from pics.Was told they were laying. 2 were said to be molting and looked like it.today in natural light of their quarantine coop,2 look questionable as to gender. If they are molting,they should be on their second laying season. They look very pale. All of them actually. We did the ivermectin drops on their neck,for parasites and wormed them this morning. I am giving them feed that is mostly 28% flock raiser, some 24% chick feed a little cracked corn for weight and scratch. Also pepper flakes and oyster shell. Droppings on one looked watery,nothing abnormal seen otherwise. All seem to eat and drink fine. Can anyone tell me if any of these look like roos? I was lied to before about orps being hens and am hoping these are indeed hens.the 2 seem to have slightly bigger combs,but not as big as when i got my boy that i was told a hen,before.

Also,their nails look a bit long,is it even possible that if any are roos,that their nails can get really long in just a few months?

I'm not seeing any male specific feathering on any of them. They are probably hens.

I agree that they do not show saddle feathers but they look like they have hackle feathers. It wouldnt be the first time i was lied to about age,they could be gettimg juvenile feathers instead of molting couldn't they?

Yea they look like mature hens, maybe 2-3 years old possibly. It is hard to tell though with pictures, but it does look like they are older than my hens same breed and mine are 1 year old.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking they're young cockerels
hide.gif

In the first pic, the bird in the front looks to be getting hackle feathers. I'm guessing that's the same bird as the last set of pics? The other birds I'm not as sure of.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking they're young cockerels  :oops:

In the first pic, the bird in the front looks to be getting hackle feathers. I'm guessing that's the same bird as the last set of pics? The other birds I'm not as sure of. 

I'm fairly positive,2 are hens. The other 2 are the ones that are molting abd are questionable. The one with a darker neck is the one we're thinking roo but both those molting ones have different looking combs. I got my 7 month old roo a few months ago,if these 2 are young cockerals,they dont have nearly the comb my boy did then. I've looked back at old pics and even my boy was much darker overall. I know i'm gonna eait it out anyways,but lets face it,we all want opinions early on!

Back
Top Bottom