Genetic Hackle; AKA "Fly Tying Chickens" Info for the interested.

Mine are bantam and super SWEET!

I can go scoop them right up for snuggles. My one barred girl does not even know she is a chicken lol- would much rather hang with the humans

Great article,

Can this birds be raised in tropical countries? - am in Kenya and I would love to breed the for hackles to tie my dry flies. kinldy help me with information of the raising climatic conditions, feeding and where I can buy eggs. I will really appreciate.

Hello,

I currently do not raise chickens but have 7.5 acres of available land where I am considering the option of chickens.

When I was 16, my Dad and I went on a trip to Cooperstown, NY and on the way we stopped at a fly fishing shop where I met Harry Darbee. I had been interested in fly tying for several years and was in Heaven in his shop. Harry offered me some blue dun eggs at the time and I really had no way of raising them as we lived in the city. I wish I could have accepted his generous offer but at the time it would not work out.

Now in my late 40's I am interesting in fly tying again and was looking at the option of raising my own chickens.

Do you have any suggestions on where I can acquire chicks that are similar to the quality bred by Harry Darbee?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards,

Bob Price

Hi Bob

Lucky for you to meet Harry Darbee

My understanding some remnants of his strain still is around in those parts

You need to contact Ken Tutalo http://www.beaverkillvalleyhackle.com

He has a bread and breakfast and fly shop in that area of the Catskills.

Last time I spoke to him the genetic hackle he is raising has really improved.

Take a look at http://www.ihgf.org for some additional information, let me know if I can help you with anything

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Arielle

your welcome

I noticed you are also from Mass would interested in connecting with you I noticed you have Sweetgrass Turkeys

I am from the North Central Mass and You?

Ed

Back
Top Bottom