Genetic Hackle; AKA "Fly Tying Chickens" Info for the interested.

Hi,

I have been working with my genetic hackle barred rocks for about 2 years now. I started out with eggs from Alvin Theiriult and stayed mainly with barred rocks. The last year I have crossed buffed orfingtons with them to create higher feather count and more loft to my necks. I would be happy to share some pictures of my birds with you.

Last edited:
Montanabird Don't give up if you still have your birds

It is a numbers game, I have been at it for over 6 years now not using any formal genetic hackle birds and only this year did I see reasonable results from my breeding

It appears you are looking for hackle to tie small flies by using bantam birds.

How many birds a year are you raising?

I started off hatching eggs off broody birds and only was able to maintain my flock, this year I bought an incubator and went from a few dozen new birds to over 300 birds then my selection for excellent birds showed up.

I use araucana birds because they are large and in general have soft hackle since most of my fishing is wet fly

Surprisingly this year I ended up with about a dozen cree birds, barred rock araucana's and some really excellent blue dun birds for next years breeding.

But this did not materialize until I got my numbers up to find these birds.

Don't give up, use the numbers to find those few birds to breed into the future.

Of course a little help with some real genetic birds will definitely help

Good luck and don't give up, it is a long term project if you are a breeder, otherwise it may be better to start off with the best stock available
Eggs are available from

Ken Tutalo
beaverkillvalleyhackle.com

if you have any pics or want to belong to a group of other genetic hackle growers don't forget to stop by
ihgf.org and lets get some of those pics of your birds up there

Ed

Last edited:
Roscoe Red I too would love to see some pics of your crosses from Alvins birds
how did the cross work out for you?

I am working with Araucana birds for size and wet fly hackle producing a multi-purpose bird for eggs, meat, and genetic hackle.

It always amazes me when making crosses what traits are dominant and recessive.

I made some phoenix and araucana crosses to increase my feather length and it appears only one of my hens was able to work while the other 6 hens did not.

At least I have an F1 generation to move forward now.

Ed

Last edited:

These are my bantam fly ties - they are strictly eye candy around here
big_smile.png

Hi, I was wondering what the temperament of these birds is like. Are they flighty gamey birds or are they docile and easily handled? Would they make good pets?

Back
Top Bottom