Getting a puppy AKC registered?

Yes, the AKC recognizes the official kennel clubs from most other countries. The AKC is the only internationally recognized kennel club in the US. The only other reputable registry in the US is the UKC. Continental Kennel Club, APRI, etc, nope.

Both parents still have to be registered.

i dont think you can register it unless the dad is papered.

is there a reason you want him akc registered? I got my bull terrier registered as a pup and it was a waste of money since hes neutured. no one seems to care that he has papers that say hes a purebred.

Both parents have to be registered with the AKC or its counterparts in other countrys. There is no other way.

You can breed a pure breed of dog for 20 years an have proof of that an the AKC dont care. If you didnt buy your dog from one of there breeders an then pay that breeder an additional fee to have the rights to breed your dog then your out of luck. Its become more of a Pay to be a member club the the best of the best that it started out as.

#1, there are no members of AKC. Only member clubs, and their elected delegates.

Second, yes, there are fees involved in order to register dogs, litters, and puppies.

Third, the AKC is THE gold standard for registration and dog events in the US, globally.

And last, yes, there are wide levels of variation in the quality of animals that come with AKC registration. AKC registration is no indication whatsoever of the quality of the animal.

AKC is what YOU (you in general terms, not intended to point at one person) as a breeder and consumer use it as. In other words it is what you make it.

Register your dogs, that makes you eligible for all kinds of things, training events, conformation shows, nutritional information, dog clubs of all kinds, even working dog trials. Register your dog and don't take advantage of any of it, the choice is yours. A registery is only as good as the people want it to be. AKC has some really bad breeders = bad dogs = bad consumers. And AKC has lots of good breeders = good dogs = good consumers (at least some of the time).

IMO the main issue with AKC is that, despite the breeds having standards they don't have standards for much of any thing else. I think the FCI is actually doing a better job with their dogs than AKC but thats my personal opinion.

Sorry to be so off topic.

Back
Top Bottom